Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default V12 Designer Download Issues

As has been posted elsewhere in the forum we caused a server problem over the weekend which resulted in Local Design Gallery losing files.

The technical reasons for the problem was my mis-configuring a server, so that was missing the “checksum” data for the files. This data is what is used to indicate whether a file has changed and a new one needs downloading. Unfortunately with the checksum empty, Designer concludes that its local copy is out of date, and deletes content.

This checksum deletion goes back several product versions, although earlier versions would not have changed the Local Designs Gallery view (the Designs Gallery showed all content via thumbnails, even if not downloaded).

A further side-effect appears to be that any content downloaded after the first manifestation of the problem (i.e. while the checksums where broken) is also lost after the problem is fixed, because the local ‘blank’ checksum appears to be different from the corrected one. In other words, a second deletion could occur for files downloaded in that time.

The problem now appears to be fixed according to most reports and our testing. To help us get an idea that the problem is fixed, it would be really great if you could let us know in this thread if you are now able to save downloaded files in the LDG as expected.

My apologies for all the trouble caused by this issue and I'm working to ameliorate the situation and to investigate changes that can be made to prevent this happening again. Sorry that my poor TG skills prevented me from posting here sooner!

Marc

Default Re: V12 Designer Download Issues

All seems well for me now, Marc. No more error messages, downloaded content has survived a few restarts this morning. Upon a restart I can see the Gallery tab flash ...Updating for a second like before and all the content I have downloaded remains.

Well done and thank you for the work on this.

Best regards, Mike

Many thanks Mike!

Marc, your honesty is the best possible message you could have made.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

As I mentioned in the other thread about the Local Designs Gallery, I am happy with your honest massage. I didn't really trust the situation though because what does a server have to do with contents being removed from my computer?

Yet, today I tried anyway and, lo and behold, all the contents were removed again. There must be another problem!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    As I mentioned in the other thread about the Local Designs Gallery, I am happy with your honest massage. I didn't really trust the situation though because what does a server have to do with contents being removed from my computer?

Yet, today I tried anyway and, lo and behold, all the contents were removed again. There must be another problem!!!
    I think this is what Marc means by "A further side-effect appears to be that any content downloaded after the first manifestation of the problem (i.e. while the checksums where broken) is also lost after the problem is fixed, because the local ‘blank’ checksum appears to be different from the corrected one. In other words, a second deletion could occur for files downloaded in that time." In other words you might have to re-download a second time. Also nb you should close the program and open it again before doing so. Hopefully that will work.
    Kate Moir
    [url]http://www.xara.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by katemoir View Post
    I think this is what Marc means by "A further side-effect appears to be that any content downloaded after the first manifestation of the problem (i.e. while the checksums where broken) is also lost after the problem is fixed, because the local ‘blank’ checksum appears to be different from the corrected one. In other words, a second deletion could occur for files downloaded in that time." In other words you might have to re-download a second time. Also nb you should close the program and open it again before doing so. Hopefully that will work.

Kate, my Online Content started working yesterday after Marc's fix. Today I've gone to check it, after seeing your notice and am getting the EPARSE error again and the catalogue won't load.

Please advice. Client out of patience.

A

Quote Originally Posted by katemoir View Post
    In other words you might have to re-download a second time.
    Thank you for the further clarification. I re-downloaded the content. Hopefully it 'sticks' this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Artyboots View Post
    Kate, my Online Content started working yesterday after Marc's fix. Today I've gone to check it, after seeing your notice and am getting the EPARSE error again and the catalogue won't load.

Please advice. Client out of patience.

A
    Hi Artyboots, I've just got back from 2 days in Sweden so I've only just seen this. If you are still getting the error, could you private message me , or else if you already have a support ticket let me know the id.

Thanks,
    Marc