Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default bug in Grid-System

If the grid is defined to increase downwards its origin has to be in the left upper corner (that's the case)
    and this point has to have the the coordinates value 0 (that's not the case). Indeed the point reflects
    the page length, (in my case 4548 pixels), which is wrong and turns out as a pain for Web work.

I want to define a grid which starts with an offset from the top (for my menu bar) and I at the same time
    don't want to be determined in my page lenght. This currently unfortunately isn't possible

PS: The same error would occur if I for some reason wanted to have my X origin at the right hand side.
    Any offset then had to apply to 0 at the right page margin but Xara still believes 0 is to the left.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-10-08_20h19_01.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	114566

Default Re: bug in Grid-System

With the left mouse button click and drag the top left corner of the ruler wherever you want it.
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Farrelly View Post
    With the left mouse button click and drag the top left corner of the ruler wherever you want it.
    Hi Christine,
    I am aware of this option. Try the following out to see what I mean:
    Create a web document, turn on Grid display (any value will do) and offset the y origin.
    Now drag the cyan bottom line of the page to lengthen or shorten the page – the grid
    will start wandering around. Note that the same doesn't happen when dragging the right
    margin of the page for interactive resizing on the X-axis.

Webdesign happens always top-down and changing page length is the most common thing.
    Therefore grids really have to have their origins (zero points) where they make sense.
    The current implementation always keeps the actual Y- origin at the bottom and only
    allows the ruler display to get flipped around.

hoja, I am not getting any of these effects.
    I set the X,Y origin to anything and have X increasing right and Y downwards.
    No amount of page resizing changes the grid position or settings.

Happy to be corrected,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,
    by default the grid y offset is tied to the page length.
    As soon as one enters a custom y origin things go haywire. See attached animation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wanderingGrid01.gif 
Views:	122 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	114573

Bug Re: bug in Grid-System

hoja, thank you for your patience, I got there. Don't know if this will help in reporting this Bug.

Create a Page 600 px tall. Open the Grid and Ruler tab. It should read O: (0, 600). Keep this open.
    Colour a page background.
    Display the Grid.
    Create a rectangle, 200x100 px, and place at (0, 0).

Change the page height to 400 px. O changes ( O: (0, 400)) but the rectangle is still (0, 0).
    Move the rectangle to (10, 100); it moves right and down.

Expose the Ruler and adjust the origin onto the top left of the rectangle using Ruler and Snap to Objects.
    The rectangle is now at (0, 0).

Change the page height to 500 px, making it taller. O does not change ( O: (0, 400)) and the rectangle becomes (0, 100). This is the Bug.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yup, I see this too, thanks for confirming!
    Do you think that a ticket is necessary – don't Xara employees check this section regularly?
    I'd click a thread with the word bug in its title...

Quote Originally Posted by hoja View Post
    Yup, I see this too, thanks for confirming!
    Do you think that a ticket is necessary – don't Xara employees check this section regularly?
    I'd click a thread with the word bug in its title...
    hoja, I would still raise a Xara ticket; it formalises matters and you get a response.

Acorn

Done.

Yes it's a bug and I'm sure Xara devs are aware of it. See GerryI's comment here.

I would stick to Xara's default webpage settings of X increases to the right & Y increases downwards.

If you want a margin at the top then set the following in the Webpage Body:

<style type="text/css">
    div.xr_ap {
    margin-top: 20px;
    margin-left: 100px;
    }
    </style>
    Why you'd need an X offset I've no idea. This isn't my code by the way.

I want to define a grid which starts with an offset from the top (for my menu bar)
    Can't understand why this would be necessary hoja?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host