Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Question Transparent sides of Text (see-through material) in Xara3D ?

Sorry to trouble the forum with this; but I did a quick Search and could not find any information on whether it is possible to create 'Transparent sides' of the Text in Xara3D.

I am currently testing out the TRIAL and I am enjoying how simple it makes creating 3D models of Text!
    I just cannot seem to find the controls to adjust the opacity of the sides of the text (to make them see-through).
    Perhaps I am just missing it, somewhere...

Can Xara3D make transparent material?
    Or is it something that a more expensive product of theirs might do (and not this one)?

Thanks for any information or guidance anyone can provide
    Last edited by Munenushi; 10 October 2016 at 01:57 PM. Reason: punctuation

Default Re: Transparent sides of Text (see-through material) in Xara3D ?

Hi Munenushi and welcome to the forum. I don't have X3D installed on my PC at this time, but I don't really see what you want.
    In the enclosed png I've made some 3D text using the tool that comes with Xara Photo & Graphic Designer.
    If you take away the sides you are just left with the front face - or am I missing something?
    Cutting out the 3D sides of the text whilst leaving just an outline would require a lot of work, even for just a small amount of text.
    transparency in X3D is achieved by exporting the 3D text with an Alpha channel, but this makes the text export without a background rather than with a visible white rectangle behind it. So I suppose the answer is No.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D Text.png 
Views:	368 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	114584  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    Hi Munenushi and welcome to the forum. I don't have X3D installed on my PC at this time, but I don't really see what you want.
    In the enclosed png I've made some 3D text using the tool that comes with Xara Photo & Graphic Designer.
    If you take away the sides you are just left with the front face - or am I missing something?
    Cutting out the 3D sides of the text whilst leaving just an outline would require a lot of work, even for just a small amount of text.
    transparency in X3D is achieved by exporting the 3D text with an Alpha channel, but this makes the text export without a background rather than with a visible white rectangle behind it. So I suppose the answer is No.
    Bob.
    Greetings Bob,

Thanks for your informative reply! What I meant was partial transparency (Opacity is the term, sorry) on the sides or on the front - I made some 3D Text with transparent (see-through) sides and front in a different program below - but I would like to create 3D Text in Xara3D, it seems much faster at beginning the process of using a 3D mesh:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D Text  black and white with transparency.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	114585

If not, that is too bad... Perhaps I will put it in some kind of "Suggestion Box" for Xara...

Hi Munenushi, look at the attachment (that you can import into Xara 3D), it is close, but the shadows are different.

Ciao

Roly
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Munenushi, perhaps this is a little closer to your example. I have not used the Xara 3d software in over 2 years, so I'm a little rusty, sorry.

Ciao

Roly
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've been working on this for awhile. This is far from perfect and fiddly to accomplish but I hope it is somewhat close to what you are looking for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transparent swides.png 
Views:	463 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	114595

transparent sides.xar
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.