Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Better (sub) pixel control in Web-Documents please!

I would like to have true pixel snapping in Web documents and an option to see the pixel grid (when zoomed into
    objects closely) as offered in programs such as Adobe Illustrator and Affinity Designer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-10-17_19h22_03.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	114654

The latter further has the cool feature to live-edit the rasterized representation of vector elements
    which need to get turned to bitmaps for browser display – that can go as far as to brush-edit antialiasing.

Xara thus far tries to deal with these details silently in the background – users don't even get encouraged to
    design pixel accurately! But one can very easily reach the borders of the presently used system as seen in the
    attached simple animation. A white rectangle(according to Xara sitting perfectly on even pixels), has an exact
    duplicate on the mouseover layer. The mouseover layer is set to show instantly – but still – watch the offset.
    I run into this kind of misalignment issues all the time and would really like getting rid of them.

Name:	offset.gif 
Views:	110 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	114652

A closely related issue is line width. From other applications I'm used to set the alignment of lines:
    Do they appear outside of the object, centered on their margin or towards the inner of the object, so that
    the overall size doesn't grow?

Inside Xara one can only draw a rectangle and give it a stroke. Whatever width the stroke has, it is aligned
    centrally – and even a lot worse – stroke width doesn't affect the displayed object size, as seen in the next
    animated gif. Obviously this is the cause for a lot of misalignement issues.

Name:	size.gif 
Views:	116 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	114653

You will need to click the images to play the gifs.

PS: One can get rid of that Mouseover misalignment btw, when manually subtracting half of the line width from
    the displayed overall object size (in that case half a pixel) but there should be better ways to get that result.

Default Re: Better (sub) pixel control in Web-Documents please!

Not sure if any of this is helpful.

You can draw a rectangle to the maximum size, then apply an Inner Contour to the line width. Or draw a rectangle to size, convert the line to shape and then resize to the precise dimensions.

To the left of the two dialog boxes you show is an X and Y coordinates box which can be used to place the object at an even pixel location.

Hi Gary,
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    To the left of the two dialog boxes you show is an X and Y coordinates box which can be used to place the object at an even pixel location.
    If the dimension boxes are wrong, the coordinates box you mention is rendered meaningless.

The problem with these dimension boxes are cases which cause them to show anything but the exact object dimensions.
    In my second gif I give the box a stroke of 96px, the box as a matter of fact gets greatly larger but the dimension boxes stubbornly
    show the original size. The same thing btw. happens with rectangles which got converted to shapes.

There's other cases which at export time require slight changes in object dimensions due to antialiasing.
    Other apps give you control about even these aspects, already while setting up the Design.

I did not try the contour suggestion as it seems a too convoluted workaround for something which should just work.
    Last edited by hoja; 17 October 2016 at 08:38 PM.

I did not try the contour suggestion as it seems a too convoluted workaround for something which should just work.
    I agree. The option to have an outline export to the exact dimensions is the right way to do this. I was merely suggesting ways I work around such issues.

Use the "Scale line widths" button to include/exclude line widths from dimensions and snapping.

Phil

Thanks Phil,

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    Use the "Scale line widths" button to include/exclude line widths from dimensions and snapping.

Phil
    I see that this option indeed triggers the transform boxes to update, it's no practical solution though.

Binding outline scale to object scale probably makes a lot of sense when creating vector drawings.
    I can't see a practical value in Webdesign, here one wants outlines to keep their scale (even pixels)
    and wants them to sit pixel perfect too.

Say you have a grid of rectangles (images) at various sizes on a page which all have an outline. Each
    time one resizes elements one will end up with a new uneven value for the line width, which consequently
    will let the line appear needlessly blurred when rasterized. Having page elements with margins at various
    widths would look quite ugly too.

In case however these arbitrary margin rectangles are re-created as css at web-export and automatically
    get full pixel values re-assigned for width and screen coordinates the Designer has not enough control about
    the end-result. I show such an undesired deviation in my first animated gif.

Each time one resizes elements one will end up with a new uneven value for the line width, which consequently
    will let the line appear needlessly blurred when rasterized.
    Resize elements with the Scale Line Widths OFF. Therefore a 100px x 100px square with a 6px outline doubled in width/height by 200% becomes a 200px x 200px square with a 6px outline. It's not hard to grasp.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

But one can very easily reach the borders of the presently used system as seen in the
    attached simple animation. A white rectangle(according to Xara sitting perfectly on even pixels), has an exact
    duplicate on the mouseover layer. The mouseover layer is set to show instantly – but still – watch the offset.
    I run into this kind of misalignment issues all the time and would really like getting rid of them.
    Perhaps you could supply a xar file showing this misalignment?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hey Egg,
    this is the wishlist section. If you are ok with wrong dimension and transform values
    as the consequence of having a stroke assigned to objects, that's of course fine.

Not even being able to enforce perfect pixel alignment with guides and grids and having
    to calculate actual dimensions and real positions is something I personally don't think is
    any good. Hence my wish :o)

Attached is the xar I used. I duplicated to Mouseover via clipboard and Paste in place in current Layer.
    Attached Files Attached Files

With "scale line widths" enabled use the edge handles of the Selector tool (not the corner handles) to resize your rectangle. Line width will then not be affected.

I suspect you would find it much easier if the outline stroke were always inside the shape but it is currently centered on the outline of the shape. Thus a 1px line falls 0.5px outside the shape's outline.

A longstanding request from users is to be able to control the stroke position relative to a shape's outline.

Phil