Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to know if javascript is executing?

There are several references on this forum to modifying a page's behavior by placing html of the following form in the body of a page:
    <script type="text/javascript">xr_v1(document.getElementById('message ').parentNode.parentNode)</script>
    Although I've following the "instructions" for using it, I have seen no evidence that it actually works or is even executing ... which leads me to these questions:

Is there a statement I can add to that block that would display a message or change a color ... or something?
    xr_v1 appears to be a function. Where might I find it documented?
    When such a script is in the body html, when is it executed?

As you can tell, I'm not versed in javascript. And it's tough to get even a toehold when viewing resources like W3School. But I'm trying to learn.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Default Re: How to know if javascript is executing?

I normally follow siran or Acorn when it comes to JS Contours, I just dabble (badly).

However copy the following text, paste it into Notepad, save it as test.html & run it in a browser.

<html>
    <body>

<p id="p1">What's your name?</p>
    <button type="button" onclick="myFunction()">Answer</button>
    <p><p/>
    <button type="button" onclick="myFunction2()">Reset</button>

<script>
    function myFunction() {
    document.getElementById("p1").innerHTML = "Contours";
    document.getElementById("p1").style.color = "blue";
    }

function myFunction2() {
    document.getElementById("p1").innerHTML = "What's your name?";
    document.getElementById("p1").style.color = "red";
    }
    </script>

</body>
    </html>
    Getting that to work in Xara isn't within my knowledge.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

@Egg: Thanks for that sequence. It's easy to follow what it does when opened in a browser. It's certainly a good start.

As a test, I named one of the page's text fields "text" and made a crude attempt at grafting one statement into the snippet in the page body ... without any result.
    <script type="text/javascript">xr_v1(document.getElementById('message ').parentNode.parentNode);document.getElementById( "text").style.color = "red"</script>
    If it's even possible to do this, maybe someone can correct my syntax error(s).

I appreciate your help.

Don't know how you attach the code to Xara Buttons but this works with html generated buttons.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Yes, it does work as you've described. But when I attempted to adapt a single statement into a super-simple test case:
    <script>document.getElementById("text").style.colo r = "red"</script>
    ... nothing changed. I suspect I'm not in the right ballpark with the syntax.

Thanks for posting the example. I'll continue to look for other examples of "body html" to get a handle on uses.

[QUOTE]<script>document.getElementById("text").style.co lo r = "red"</script>[/QUOTE

Try

document.getElementById("text").style.color = "red";

thats without the gap between the o and r in color and the semicolon on the end.
    Egg

Seems to me the original insert
    that you have a space in 'colo r' maybe not picking that script up due to the space..
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

@Scotty: those occasional blanks are inserted by the forum software ... to keep text strings from being too long to wrap, I believe.

@egg: I got the result shown below. In a way, it gives a hint as to how the body html is interpreted. I'm still at a loss of how to get it to tell the browser that I want a different result than what is defined in the xara-built html. Am I looking at this all wrong? If I am, how do scripts in the body html modify elements like slider widgets?

Thanks for the responses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page result.PNG 
Views:	71 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	114521

I believe the space is down to a glitch in the forum quote Jim. I tried editing and it added more spaces.

Contours, try the attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Contours, are you also naming the text block "HTMLBlockText" ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	names.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	114523  
    Egg