Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback Please

266 Celeron, 192 megs ram, 16 meg ati 128 bit video card... now we are taliking slow machines... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

This splash page is very slow and clunky on this ole machine... Yea, I would have bailed as well... had it not been a member here... sorry Egg

Nice graphics though... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Looks great Egg.

Streams perfectly on my system. Good job optimizing the graphics with the flow. Convenient way to preload elements and symbols isn't it?

The ship tween from right to left at or about the 10th sequence runs a little rough, but your apt to get that for the size of the tweened objects.

The graphics are very well done Egg. Kudos

Wayne

(Yes, I keep forgeting my password after a clean format. Happened more than once... used to be "ivca" way back when.)

Egg...only in the interest of helping you out. I have timed your flash intro on one of my slower systems.

Specs:
    AMD K6 233 Mhz
    32 Mb Ram
    Integrated video on motherboard (1 Mb Cirrus Logic 5429/30/34)
    14" SVGA Monitor running 800x600 16bit color (11 years old)
    Cable Internet connection through a crappy ethernet (10) card (252 Kilobits per sec according to bandwidthplace.com this afternoon) *this PC's best feature*

I timed your flash from the time I clicked the link to the time it started its second cycle.
    2 min 25 sec
    By far the slowest pieces were the fades and zooms. Everything else just popped right up.

Yes, this system does run XaraX.

Excellent job on the Flash intro. I like it.

dafipp

ps Is there a prize for having the worst system? I have another that I haven't tried it on yet. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I find that there are 2 problems with Flash. Those designers who use it (as Gary pointed out) to preload and the visitor is left looking at a "loading please wait" screen for what seems an enternity. Flash has a "show streaming" feature which is great to check this out and in my opinion leaves no excuse for the designer to use a "loading" screen. What it doesn't have unfortunately (in Flash 4 anyway) is a "processor / video card streaming" feature which would be very usefull. But then there's always the Xara Forum ;-)
    Thanks again. Due to your responses I will remove the zoom in on the lighthouse and the tween with the "Mayflower" and make it a stationary object. (The sailing ship is the "Mayflower" and the house is Christopher Jone's, the Master and co owner of the "Mayflower")

Thanks again for the great response.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Hi Egg,

Feel like I know everyone as I've been reading the posts here since Talk Graphics opened. Just never posted until today.

As expected your Flash movie runs very well on my newer pc:
    P4 1.8GHz 400MHz + 512MB DDR 266MHz
    ATI Radeon 7500 + 56k modem

When you said older system you didn't specify how old... my other pc is positively ancient, but gave it a try. I have an odd network setup between the two machines and only one monitor (15" set at 800 x 600) connected to the P4. So for accuracy of the test switched monitor to the old pc

P120 + 64MB RAM + ATI Turbo Pro (mach64) + 28.8 modem

The building that assmebles and zooms in at the beginning of the movie and the ship that fades in and out were excruciatingly slow. Many other objects zoomed rather smoothly up to the last few frames and then continued in a very jerky fashion until completion. There were half a dozen or more objects that did very well. The "Electric Palace" sequence, the two buildings that rise up after the fading ship, the lighthouse, and the buoy marker to name a few.

On this pc I tested in both NS4.7 and IE5, and found it ran better in IE.

Julia

Thanks for this input and welcome to the forums. Please don't lurk but feel free to join in any time. It's always a problem creating Flash that will run smoothly on any machine. Zooming in beyond the objects size seems one and the other is fading or transparency changes. Thanks again
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg,

Super graphics. They came in beautifully in Netscape
    on P4 machine. The graphics and their movements were very smooth.

They crossed the ocean nicely, and din't seem to mind the rainy day.

Cheers,

Neil

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

sorry Egg, I viewed this site of yours a few days ago and forgot (actually a client walked in and then I forgot!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img])

I like the site. It's really neat. The ship going from appearing point to dissappearing point it really well executed. The growing buildings and stuff like that remind me of the movie 'Dark City' with Rufus Sewell, Kiefer Sutherland, Jennifer Connelly and William Hurt has allot of those effects, though they are all FX type but the movie is really neat, check it out!!!

I'm not quite sure about the the blank white background. Did you try any color backgrounds to see if they are more appealing??

Both my browser at work (IE 5.5 on Win98) and mine at home (IE 6.0 on XP Pro, SP1 applied (works better than ever, BTW)) display the site wonderfully.

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Thanks for the feedback. I was after the quickest feedback I could produce. It's only supposed to be a lightening tour which leads into the main site. Having had the problems of the transitions and now seeing it on my older computer (I coaxed it back to life) I have revamped the site should anyone wish to view it.
    Updated Page
    Egg
    Egg

at 56k. I just love the different 'builds'.

I know I'm just a saddo but these may help:

Sp: Christoper Jones - I assume 'Christopher'.
    Do you mean Society's ....(the office one)?
    You have the Harwich Society and The ... also.

I would remove most of the 'The's before buildings and change full stops to ; or summat like that.

A useful piece of Flash.

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk