Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What updates Xara Designer Pro 356?

See Ben's comment HERE
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

This was one of my primary concerns with the upgrade to the 365 model, among others, like the fact that you don't get to keep the upgraded things if you re-install. I asked early on when the first update came out for the Web Designer version if the updates for those Web Designer changes would find their way into the Pro version and the answer was a "yes" without a particular timeline. I think it's pretty disappointing that the cheapest program of the lot has features not yet available in the flagship application; the same updates that are not noted on the product update page of Pro but ARE on the Web Designer page.

This is REALLY disappointing, especially since the price has gone up so significantly compared to release time or any previous upgrade version I can recall ($99 -> $129 -> $179, the last of which I don't think has happened in the past, though maybe I missed it because I typically upgrade and don't check pricing after that).

An overall downer in my opinion and keeping me even more unlikely to upgrade my two licenses.

I have not purchased it yet but keeping my eye on when and what the next update will include. People think complaining is bad but if no one expresses themselves then how can the program advance or the user base grow?

Quote Originally Posted by slavelle View Post
    This was one of my primary concerns with the upgrade to the 365 model, among others, like the fact that you don't get to keep the upgraded things if you re-install. I asked early on when the first update came out for the Web Designer version if the updates for those Web Designer changes would find their way into the Pro version and the answer was a "yes" without a particular timeline. I think it's pretty disappointing that the cheapest program of the lot has features not yet available in the flagship application; the same updates that are not noted on the product update page of Pro but ARE on the Web Designer page.

This is REALLY disappointing, especially since the price has gone up so significantly compared to release time or any previous upgrade version I can recall ($99 -> $129 -> $179, the last of which I don't think has happened in the past, though maybe I missed it because I typically upgrade and don't check pricing after that).

An overall downer in my opinion and keeping me even more unlikely to upgrade my two licenses.
    Your observation shows what many of us have discovered. Xara's focus is now on making websites. I know of 2 major issues where parts of Xara Pro were negatively affected - both by the actions of one person. Both times content on the user end was affected. This shows a weak and careless organizational structure. Having been working on computers for decades it has become clear to me that I have nothing I can do except move on. I, and many others, have spoken loud and clear and so has Xara.

I can relate to most things said in this thread.
    And I am not a fan of the subscription license model in general – be it explicitly declared as such, or otherwise.

I am still running a fairly old version of Designer Pro for several reasons – the main reason being my personal preferences, needs, and my workflow.
    And the feature set I actually use. Which is the vector tools, basic image editing, text, page design, and the prepress facilities. In other words, I can easily live without sophisticated image editing and web design within Xara Designer.
    But that is just me, because I do those tasks in other applications. (I very much understand though, that others like to have everything in one package, and so well integrated as in Designer Pro)

I am more than pleased therefore that Xara gives me a choice. So, instead of upgrading my Designer Pro version, I will opt for the Page & Layout Designer as soon as the new version is released. Which in all likelihood will be a “Page & Layout Designer 365”. ;-) Oh well! I guess I can live with that. But, for now and into the foreseeable future I can’t live with out Xara Graphic software. Luckily for me, P&G Designer meets my exact subset of the Pro version. At less cost of the upgrade price to the Pro version.

The first update to Web Designer 365 was roughly 3 months after launch and the first update to Designer Pro X365 will be roughly 3 months after launch. Yes, that means it's imminent! But note that both Web Designer Premium and Designer Pro are on 12.2 because the first update to Web Designer Premium 365 was released at the same time as Designer Pro X365. In other words there are no features in the current Web Designer Premium that aren't also in the current Designer Pro.
    Kate Moir
    [url]http://www.xara.com[/url]

Hi,
    Ok I have the Cd/DVd version of Designer Pro (365) but am still running the download that is updated. So would I have to install
    from the DVd/Cd to get the updates or would they be on the Cd/dvd should I decide to install at a later date. I was under the impression
    that you only need the DVD/CD install should you have as a backup if you have a computer problem.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Kate - then you should update the Xara Designer Pro page with the following items that are listed as "new features" on the Web Design 365 page:

NEW - JULY 2016
    Improved List Editing
    You can now select just the bullets/numbers in bulleted/numbered lists, so you can then adjust the color, size or font independently of the list text
    Two separate numbered lists can now be linked (so for example you could have a graphic in the middle)

NEW - JULY 2016
    Photo Filter Pre-Sets
    A wonderfully quick and easy way to apply popular effects to your photos.

You’ll find more than 25 ready-made effects in the Content Catalog (image resources > photo filter pre-sets). Simply select your photo and hit Import! What’s more you can continue to edit the effects using the Enhance tool or Brightness Levels dialog, and if you replace the photo the effects are retained. See some examples.

NEW - JULY 2016
    Stock Photos & Illustration
    New in the Online Content Catalog: In partnership with Pixabay we've added fully integrated access to a free library of over 500,000 quality royalty-free stock photos and over 59,000 vector illustrations. All available under the CC0 license.

Minor SVG import improvements (NEW - JULY 2016)

Not helping convince the doubtful.

FWIW: The main site has been updated with the new November 2016 updates (right after I posted this - I'm sure there's no connection between the two

Anyway - finally caved and bought the new version. I hope to be able to utilize the new features both creatively and practically!