Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cookie policies

Default Cookie policies

Hi all

I have been asked to add the 'facebook' pixel code to one of the websites that I look after.

This has raised the issue for the need of a cookie pop up and cookie policy on the website.

In the past I have chosen not to include any code that would require the inclusion of a cookie warning or policy.

Do any of you experts have some current experience of adding a warning and or policy?

Default Re: Cookie policies

nobbyy, wait until Brexit is over and you won't need to. I assume you are talking about the EU regulation?

For the Facebook widget, you are not tracking with it, Facebook is. So you don't need a pop-up.
    As to a Policy, you need a new page and a link on each page to advise you don't use Cookies but links to third parties are covered by their policies.

Follow a few sites and read their policies and edit then relevant bits for yours.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn - thanks for the swift and helpful response.

I would love to have thought that Brexit would have ended this issue but the recent announcement that the UK was adopting all current EU directives as UK law undermines this. I think that over a period of time this one will lapse but in the meantime I suppose the current position remains.

I like your line of reasoning that it is Facebook that is doing the tracking but I found this on the Facebook site:

If you use Conversion Tracking or Custom Audiences from your Website, a clear and prominent link from each webpage where FB-generated pixels for such features are placed that links to the section of your privacy policy that clearly explains that (a) third parties may use cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies to collect or receive information from your website and elsewhere on the internet and use that information to provide measurement services and target ads, (b) how users can opt-out of the collection and use of information for ad targeting, and (c) where a user can access a mechanism for exercising such choice (e.g., providing a link to www.aboutads.info/choices).
    https://www.facebook.com/business/he...74072309523252

This suggests that a warning is required - would welcome your view on this.

Finally, if I do not use and cookies on my site (unless you think I am without knowing) then surely I don't need a policy page to say that I don't use cookies?

You'll probably have an About page.

In that, include:
    Privacy: Please be assured that we use no tracking cookies on this website.
    Where there are links to external websites, not under the control of XXX, we do not implicitly endorse them or control their position on protecting your privacy.

I think you need something like this as a minimum if you are including any external links.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Never used it in a Xara site. Perhaps this may help:

LINK
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I'm now in the same situation - looking to add a cookie warning (for the same reason - FB Pixel). I understand Acorn's view, but I beg to differ also. While it is FB's Pixel it is myself who is adding it via my FB account therefore I am adding the cookie not FB.

I found the above link via a 2013 similar thread. My problem is they say to put it ABOVE the heard. I'm using Xara Desginer Pro X (as of Nov 2017 update) - which I think is the same features as Xara Wed Designer. When I click (Page properties button "HTML code Head)" my understanding would be it is placed in the header - so how do I place it BEFORE the header (without manually editing the html file which would defeat the point of using Xara). OR is there another way to do this other than via the above link?

Thanks.

It has been a long time, Turan.

It has indeed, I hope you are keeping well - I've never stopped using Xara, just not made it back here as much as I should - checking in from time to time just to view. My latest venture in life has been keeping me busy all feedback on my site welcome http://feel-good.today/ any thoughts on my question? You may not know about the EU requirement but if cookies are used we must tell visitors they are being watched!!

I feel better already, though I don't remember a thing.

Used to be site put a cookie on your computer so they would remember you and your settings when you came back. Now some site are adding dozens of tracking cookies so I can't disagree with the law. I use Ghostery to block most of these unless there is a legitimate reason.

:-) Can something like this be done? Their instructions are "Add the code in the header of your website, just before the </head> tag. " [from https://cookieconsent.insites.com/download/] can this be done in a convenient way within Xara, as I said, I'm assuming placing it in the HTML header box means it will be within the tag not just before it.