Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Export bitmap options; scale greyed out

The bitmap size and dpi are linked in jpg and png export dialog with the scale box greyed out. When exporting a vector image, why can't I scale the dpi independent of the width/height? The manual doesn't say anything about it. I understand if I were trying to export a bitmap image but not a vector one.

Default Re: Export bitmap options; scale greyed out

Hi Frank, never even noticed the scale greyed out. However this option only works for non-jpg's & non-png's. It becomes active if your exporting as bmp or gif.

Scale: (Dimmed for JPEG & PNG). This lets you scale the bitmap up or down by a percentage. Scale is more suitable than Size if you want, for example, a bitmap 50% bigger than the original.
    To scale a jpg or png, export it at greater dpi, 192, 300, 600 etc. This changes the pixel dimensions.

Also remember all the exports apart from pdf and svg no longer remain as vector but become raster images.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks for the reply. It just doesn't make sense that width/height and dpi can't be changed independently before it becomes a raster image on export. Not that important, of course.

width/height and dpi
    But Width & Height are linked to dpi & vice versa.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

If you need to, scale before you export. Once you export to PNG or JPEG or any other bitmap format, the exported image is no longer editable. It is now a bitmap.

And as far as I know you cannot scale independently in vector formats either.

Thanks guys. Guess I'll just scale in the program. ctrl-k doesn't take long. (making multiple sized versions of my logo, for example.)