Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Creating your own image sliders within Xara

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    hoja, just to check against bullets one and four. If I have 100 quality files, all beautifully named, then you don't want to have to add them to your Xara design but access then for a hosted drive under the main URL of the site, e.g., <site>.index.htm and a folder <site>/Posh Pics/ ?

Including click objects to drive events, within Xara, necessarily implies any presented image should include hyperlinks and web animations. If this is so, I think it would exclude local file hosting. This means designing two generic widgets.

Acorn - the SEA Board
    Hi Acorn,
    these files obviously need to get uploaded somewhere and someway, but it was preferable if we could determine the Server ourselves.
    Realistically one will rather not have 100 files in a single slideshow, attaching them one by one could get tedious :o).
    Third party sliders such as WOWslider call external libraries for fancy effects, but images keep in the hand of user. I will likely use
    WOWslider for my next projects, (so please don't do this for me) but if that auto-image cycler you already have with little effort could get
    extended to a user-controlled Slider with some nice transition effects, this sure was interesting.

Thanks for this, Egg. I've set it up in Xara but find that when I test the results, it works in Firefox but fails in Chrome. Any ideas what might cause that and if I can fix it?

Ah, ignore that question, Egg. I re-exported the pages and everything is working fine (I don't know what's changed, but at least it works!).

However, another question. I want to put some arrows onto the slider so that the user can move to the next "page". I've done this successfully, but the problem is that as the image scrolls out (I'm using the wipe left transition), the arrow buttons do, too. Is there a way that I can keep them static and only have the "content" of the slider page move?

Is there a way that I can keep them static and only have the "content" of the slider page move?
    Not easily Gary. The code created by Siran is just to wait x seconds then load the next page of a supersite with transitions. There is no pause on mouse over effect or any way I know of to have a button in the main site to control the pages loaded into a placeholder.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Maybe this example is what you have in mind. Just something recycled from another thread, so please excuse the text only supersite.
    Please also note that this example won't work when started directly from hard disk in anything but FireFox. But it works when published or when both files are exported to the same directory and then the main site is viewed in preview.
    It works almost the same as the above example by egg, but all the code is at the main site.
    The placeholder body code contains an iframe with an ID, this ID needs to be updated in the button codes and in the website head code section if changed.
    Don't hesitate to ask if something needs explanation.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Works a treat Siran, thanks
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Many thanks for this, Siran. Really helpful.

Is there any way I can make this responsive? If I build variants into the slider Xara file, will they work depending on the size of the iFrame inserted into the parent site on which it appears?

Actually, I've just tested this and answered my own question: it's not responsive. If I add variants to the main-with-auto file, I can set the size of the iFrame to be narrower in different variants. But the content it contains doesn't change with, even if I add variants to it that match the iFrame sizes I've used. Is there any way I can get around this, Siran?

As the slider document is created as a supersite it is easy to have it auto stretching (see "Scale To Fit Screen" in the Web export options). Just checked it.
    Unfortunately there seems to be a bug in firefox (even in older versions) that requires to add a small fix (see code at the website head in the textslides_4 document).
    Additionally the sample code in the website head of the main-with-auto-2 document has changed to allow timer values to be entered in seconds including fractional digits.

Not sure if that is what you asked for. If not, please explain in a little more detail.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for this, Siran. It works well, but there's one snag: it resizes proportionally, so as the width gets narrower, so too does the height. To see why that's an issue, let me tell you how I'm using this in my site.

I want the slider to be the full width of my page. So, at my biggest page variant, that's 1200, and then I have 940, 700, 480 and 320. If the slider scales proportionally, by the time it gets down to the 320 variant, the text is so small, you can't read it.

What I'd ideally like is to be able to set up textslides_4 with variants, so that there's a version of the slider for each of my main site variants. That way, I can change the width of the page, but not the height, and reposition the content within it to make it readable.

Does that make sense? Is it do-able?