Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grumpy old git's observation on the latest fad for 'parallax' scrolling sites.

I get pretty peed off with this latest fad for the so called 'parallax' scrolling sites. Almost all new sites use this technique. I don't see it adding to the site content anymore than the animated gif sites of the 90's.

I can understand a simple roll-over button changing images. This indicates a visitor interaction. I can also accept the one off tada button if it's a 'Call to Action' but not everywhere on the website.

So what's advantageous to having images scroll at different speeds than the page content? Fun to create, but what does it add to a website?

Anyone wish to comment?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Grumpy old git's observation on the latest fad for 'parallax' scrolling sites.

I agree Egg, parallax scrolling irritates me. It breaks up the flow of information for one thing.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Default Re: Grumpy old git's observation on the latest fad for 'parallax' scrolling sites.

Thanks John, glad to have you aboard
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

If there is a good reason for using this technique, and many site have done it well, usually 90% visuals 10% text, that's fine. But to shoehorn a site that is not suited this technique just to appear to be hip is not a good use.

Bottom line, people generally visit a website to get information. A well designed website makes a site that is easy and intuitive to navigate and the content easy to locate.

Here is an example of this technique done well http://www.apple.com/iphone-6s/

I'm with you all the way Egg, but people still want them. I am sure this is a fad.

Ciao

Roly

Well, there's good sites and there's bad sites. You can use a pencil to make a delight or scribble a mess. It's just a technique.

I wouldn't condemn pencils because people can't use them well, so I can't condemn the parallax technique because people use it badly.

I can condemn spinning logos and silly animated gifs though..

Egg - extremely "Grumpy" "git" - gits my vote.
    @pauland - what? Not audio on page open?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Not audio on page open?

..yes indeed..

Egg, I saw this and thought of you. I think the parallax technique has been used in an interesting way.

It's quite a mystery...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/...b-c4fccd53dd24

main problem I find is people dont scroll down. they just start clicking the menu buttons so having any info on your fancy homepage becomes irrelevant.