Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Retro TV Icon

Default Re: A Retro TV Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bailey View Post
    Yea, something went wrong when I posted the image. I think its fixed now.
    Hey, Mike.
    I can't disagree with that. It certainly seems to do the job.
    So, I shall see if it does the same job as it does in AD. In other words, if I can make the drawing Xara look the same.
    Cheers.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Tutorials can be wrong. I have noticed that before on some tutorial.
    I understand what you're saying, Larry.

However, when I'm trying to learn, I try and follow the tutorial as it's written.
    Then, when I get reasonably confident (as I feel that I am in Xara), then I would follow a tutorial and make the changes that I didn't feel comfortable with.
    So, for the moment, with any AD tutorial, I am likely to follow word-for-word!

Hey Rik, that add noise filter is in the FX menu Distortion filters, there is another one in the Eye candy 4000 plugin, HSB noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bailey View Post
    Hey Rik, that add noise filter is in the FX menu Distortion filters, there is another one in the Eye candy 4000 plugin, HSB noise.
    Thanks for that, Mike.
    But, that doesn't seem to be as good as the Add Noise from the Distortion Filter.

However, all said and done, whatever is available in Xara, is still not as good as the option in AD.
    If I zoom in on the drawing in AD, then the noise is still the same as it was when zoomed out.
    In Xara, if I zoom in, it's all pixelated.
    (see attached)

Affinity noise seems to be vector - Xara noise seems to be bitmap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Affinity noise.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	114361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara noise.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	114362  

The noise in AD is still bitmap at export. At 100% zoom is all that matters...other than there is an issue (to me) in that some/all AD's effects can have different appearance depending on the zoom level.

From #14
    "However, all said and done, whatever is available in Xara, is still not as good as the option in AD.
    If I zoom in on the drawing in AD, then the noise is still the same as it was when zoomed out.
    In Xara, if I zoom in, it's all pixelated."

I also found this using Xara Add noise Rik, however it seems much better using Eye Candy HSB noise and you have a lot of options of how you want the finished noise effect to look.

Stygg

Name:	Noise.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	114370  

Quote Originally Posted by stygg2003 View Post
    From #14
    "However, all said and done, whatever is available in Xara, is still not as good as the option in AD.
    "

I also found this using Xara Add noise Rik, however it seems much better using Eye Candy HSB noise and you have a lot of options of how you want the finished noise effect to look.

Stygg
    That's exactly what I am showing in Post#14.

This is not an attack on Xara. I love Xara and will defend it as much as I can. I love the tools - so easy to use.
    But, if I see an option in another programme that is better, then I'm going to say so.

This is not an attack on Xara. I love Xara and will defend it as much as I can. I love the tools - so easy to use.
    But, if I see an option in another programme that is better, then I'm going to say so.
    And you have every right to do so.

I think Xara's add noise effect is pretty darn good. I have always used add noise to give a clean image (like those rendered in a 3D application) some grit to simulate film grain in a photograph. For this add noise effect I probably work in a different manner than some folks.

Yes this is true when you zoom in on the noise.
    What I do is I use an object, a rectangle or what ever,no outline, white fill for basic noise, a colored fill for effect if desired. I will add the noise to the object at full strength. This object is used as an overlay to add noise to something behind. If I enlarge or reduce the overlay object size the noise remains the same and does not get pixelated, In other word I just make this overlay large enough to cover the image or scene I want to add noise to. Then I have the option of using transparency to blend the noise into the image underneath. I can enlarge the whole mess as much as I want and the noise remains the same as when I applied it.

I have produced a few images as examples with different transparency modes as examples, I left a little border edger around the overlay object so you can see it.
    Its probably more steps than AD, but I can get pretty good results with Xara alone.

Name:	No noise.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	114377   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Multiply.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	114378  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	overlay.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	114379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	114380  

Name:	Hardlight.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	114381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Softlight.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	114382  

Name:	Luminosity.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	114383  

P.S. Adding noise to a vector image was Expression's forté. You could make an illustration look as though it was passed through a Diffusion filter. I think with the right setting, you can get the same effect in AD.

-g

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    very nice Rik. I've played around a bit with Affinity Designer (windows beta) and yes the ability to add noise is nice. AD has a few nice tools that would be nice to have in Xara.

When I need noise in Xara I turn to filter forge and use it as a standalone to generate seamless tiling bitmaps as Mike suggests.
    angelize,
    You are SO Right about FF! I'm so glad you pointed them out to me almost two years ago and I've become a lifetime member!