Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default non fragmented image as pasteboard background

I have an image I want to use as my pasteboard background. I want the full sized single image to show not lots of duplicate small images. How do I do this?

Default Re: non fragmented image as pasteboard background

Make sure the image is big enough to be your background image.
    Then what I did was right click the image and choose set as pasteboard image.

Hope that helps.

The issue then becomes, how big is big enough ... If you use a 1600 x 900 monitor a 1600 x 900 image will be fine ON YOUR MONITOR, but what about anyone using bigger monitors and larger resolutions (there any number of monitors available now that have a 3840 x 2160 resolution), and if you get that covered, what about the ones that may be available tomorrow ... Do you post a 20MB image and hope your site visitors have a good broadband connection?
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Which also begs the question why create a website that HAS to fill the visitors screen? I've said it before but try viewing this forum on full screen on one of these large resolution, or dual screen monitors. It's totaly impracticle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tg-full.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	114303  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Which also begs the question why create a website that HAS to fill the visitors screen?
    Egg,
    I believe there's actually very good reasons for doing this. To turn things arround: In times of media production
    for all sorts of devices I have a hard time to imagine reasons not to use the full screen and not to serve
    full width content. The only one which comes to my mind is that one in Desktop view wants to reserve some attractive
    space for advertisement partners as seen here. (today the backdrop looks pretty meager, Sunday might be an expensive
    day– but they often have full screen ads, even animated). The same magazine obviously uses full width in its mobile versions.

Declaring some element to be the "page" and showing images even smaller on such pages, somewhat similar
    to classic newspaper or magazine production is a concept which has died in recent years, with web development
    for mobile devices.

Look at websites by top brands – none of them use pages or boxed views any more. Obviously one no longer has
    to count kilobytes when showing images, so one can have a richer appearance right away...
    But it also proved more practical to use the whole screen as a design space when shifting content around for
    different physical sizes. That way everything follows the same Design logic – no visible page, everywhere as opposed
    to having no page in mobile versions and having a page in Desktop view. I would appreciate when Xara left the concept
    of page with backdrop in upcoming versions and made it easier from ground up to produce contemporary websites.
    This obviously doesn't mean leaving the concept of pages in terms of presenting a logical structure of a website.

Having everything appear stretched out and getting terribly long text rows as seen in your screenshot can easily get
    avoided by using several text collumns in broad layouts. The user could also resize the Browser to load a more narrow
    version of the website.
    Edit: Obviously resizing the Browser and loading a more narrow version doesn't work with TG but that'a actually the
    fault of the underlying Forum software which was created at a time when mobile web didn't play a role.
    Last edited by hoja; 18 September 2016 at 11:41 AM.

Not on a crusade here hoja, just voicing my opinion

Perhaps I'm missing the point but I've looked at quite a few 'big boys' in the web scene and non seem to use full screen, either with adaptive or responsive design.

Within these sites the main content appears to be kept within a set limit regardless of screen resolution. The largest of those I tested, YouTube, still retained it's page content to 1260px. See screengrabs.

I understand that I'm veering off the OP's original point which was about a single bitmap image for the pasteboard but you state:

Obviously one no longer has to count kilobytes when showing images
    I'd question this, as Keith mentions, 3840 x 2160 resolution monitors. A bimap of that size/quality would be large in anybodies data connection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full-screen-comparisons.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	236.5 KB 
ID:	114306  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg,
    I'm not on a crusade either. I do agree with your observation that it is not common to serve websites
    for physically very large displays as likely noboby with half way normal eyesight will want to watch a
    website fullscreen on a 28" device. In theory one could also here use all horizontal space and display
    a full newspaper pretty much in the way its physical counterpart looks. But nobody seems to do this.

One may still need high res graphics for smaller displays with high pixel density. Oldschool slicing in
    such cases has seen a comeback – here as an example is a set of actions for Photoshop.

One can slice in Xara as well – I wonder somebody has used this Hi Res web-content and background imagery
    recently? I hope Xara developers have this on their radar.

I hope Xara developers have this on their radar.
    I hope so. And I'd also like to see Xara creating sprite images to replace multiple images, particularly the navbar images.
    Egg

Oh dear looks like I started something. But willvtry sugfestions