Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Web premium 11 - responsive - lots problems -help please

Hi. just purchased above as thought would be faster for me to design couple sites in, and then provide to others after they had purchased software. This was rather than Dreamweaver which I use. Prior to responsive sites did use this Xara web software and made many websites with no problems at all. This time, am wishing i did not purchase, as having huge trouble. Wondering if any can assisst me on this. Have spent 2 whole days trying to fix and still getting nowhere (hipsterbikes templste). I spent a day designing great looking site, but when viewing the mobil page it is all wrong and not showing correctly, is bringing over text from original template used and not bringing my text/images over. I can't change the mobil page as it then changes my main page. I export the website and then when viewing in browser as html page, the html page is wrong, but the 'a' version shows correctly,, however when browser window made smaller lthe other one comes up all wrong. Thought maybe file corrupt, so started and redesigned on template again and saving as brand new site, and exporting again. All saved in another folder on hard drive. Again all wrong. Did this a couple of times, ie saving as new doc, and then would find I had six html pages saved!

i spent one whole day designing a lovely site, to only find it does not work correctly And spent 2 days tryingn to fix. As said ave redsigned in brand new sit with template (resonsive one pager) thinking starting afresh would be fine.... but .... am so frustrated, wondering why I just did not stay with Dreamweaver/bootstrap. Used to be very impressed with this software but now wondering ...???

Please can someone assist me? or maybe can send files through to be looked at? Thank you everyone. Hoping btw. I have clicked on items and said share to all pages but still do not show up when viewing the mobil site and old template bits showing.

JenC

Default Re: Web premium 11 - responsive - lots problems -help please

Hi Jen and welcome to TG. Sorry to hear you're having issues with Xara. Dreamweaver is far far harder to get to grips with, but if you know your way around that software you forget the learning curve you went through over a long time period of mastering it.

Please can someone assist me? or maybe can send files through to be looked at?
    That's probably the best way forward. Either attach it here or send a link to a Dropbox file
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Part of the problem is content that updates from the Main Variant to the other variant or variants.

Once I have created by variant, I select everything on each page of the variant, right click, and select Variant > Stop Sharing. This is drastic but it is the only way I can know that what I do on the variant page will not be applied to the main variant. In my opinion, only content such as the words in the text itself should update between variants not the size or font or style. And to make matters worse, it is not consistent. Somethings update and others don't. I agree this is very frustrating.

Right click on the page and select Variants. Find the mobile variant and delete it.

Then start again. Create a new Variant. But once you have all the material on the new variant, select all (you need to do this for each page) and turn off sharing with other variants.

Gary, this isn't necessary. You keep posting this advice.

... but it is the only way I can know that what I do on the variant page will not be applied to the main variant.
    Can you supply an example showing this effect?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

thank you for this. not sure how to upload and do not use dropbox, so have given urls to look at. Note these are not formally available to people, just put up for you to look at. So faster I can take down would be good. I still need to do links etc on these and add further images. Please note have put spaces between name of url, take these out when copying and pasting as url. i put in on purpose for placing here.
    1. this is the index.html file. As said totally wrong to what was designed plus the 2nd line in main header under PAPNZ shows white text and should be blue.
    http://j e n n i f e r c.c o m/1%20papnz%2014%20SEPT%2016/index.htm
    2. this index-a html file is viewing correctly. http://j e n n i f e r c .c o m/1%20papnz%2014%20SEPT%2016/index-a.htm
    Your assistance on this is so so so appreciated. thanks. j

I agree with Gary. When I create a site I create the mobile variant, then immediately Stop Sharing, and resize all the elements on the mobile page if necessary. I found if I did not do this, most of the elements that I changed on the mobile variant would change elements on the main page, but not to scale. I don't find it too much of a problem to Stop Sharing and just make changes individually on the Main site and then switch over to the Mobile once all the main elements and design have been done. I love Xara software and find this to be a small inconvenience.

Thanks Abi.

Can you supply an example showing this effect?
    I still don't follow this Gary/Abi.
    Egg

Egg - When you create a Variant, all your content is copied to a new page the size you have specified. The content is linked to the main variant. Some but not all. Frequently in adjusting the size or position of something in the mobile variant, I find the same object gets moved or modified in the main variant. If I change the size of the text in the mobile variant, even if I create a new Text Style, some of the text on the main variant is changed. It is not consistent and it is not predictable (I like to spend my time designing not sussing out the steps to recreate a problem, so I cannot give you specific answers. It happens and it creates a lot of extra work. So, to save what little is left of my sanity, I turn off all sharing for the mobile variant.

thanks everyone. I did post yesterday in reply to Gary, and when posting said 'awaiting moderator's approval'. in that posting I explained again and gave two links online which could look at index and index-a. I do not see posting here as yet, and if repeating myself apoogise. here are links again As newish here, am hoping i did that correctly. Just saw Abi's reply and this sort of makes sense in a way.
    index.html this is totally incorrect and displays part of premium 11's template i used, and not showing mine, also main heading 2nd line is in white text should be blue as per index-a.
    (link: http://jenniferc.com/1%20papnz%2014%...2016/index.htm) - disregard spaces between the name on url, just added in for posting here.
    index-a.html this is as it should be and as designed. Still a few things to do on that to finish off. but is correct as wish it to be
    (link: http://jenniferc.com/1%20papnz%2014%...16/index-a.htm) - disregard spaces between the name on url, just added in for posting here.
    Any help on above so appreciated.

Abi.... just read yours. Does this mean
    - ou create a new page (ie new website entirely) as a mobil site
    - then you design on that page.
    - after completing above, you create another page as the main page?
    - please how do you do this and join the two together so that one is mobile and one is main and each linked together.
    - as you say... create the mobile variant, then immediately Stop Sharing. how to I creat the mobile variant as blank and then have main with it?
    - how to stop sharing.

Re Gary's last posting in answer to Egg..... so... really it comes down to designing a page, but designing the main html, then designing the mobil one. ie totally separate. If can get answers to above items would be great as this should lead through for me.
    Also.... how does one turn off sharing for mobile page?

So thankful for your patience with this. Maybe a step by step would assist me and will start all over again with the page.

thanks again. j