Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Need help again with Xara DP

When exporting images to png, are there special settings or tricks to avoid the tiny, segmented white border that is visible when the image is placed on a colored background? I think I read something here or on Xara Xone (workbooks) but I cannot find again. Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Need help again with Xara DP

The best way to avoid the dreaded white fringe is to export your graphics as True Color + Alpha. This creates a much smoother outline.

If you feel you must export using 256 Colors then place your objects over the same color as the background over which they will appear, or the same texture if that is the case and then export.

Xara blends (anti-aliases) the exported object to the page background. As the page is most often white, the objects export blending to a white background, hence the white fringe.

Quote Originally Posted by canova View Post
    When exporting images to png, are there special settings or tricks to avoid the tiny, segmented white border that is visible when the image is placed on a colored background? I think I read something here or on Xara Xone (workbooks) but I cannot find again. Thanks for your help.
    Show a screen shot because I really don't know what you mean or how it applies to the design.

I get no white fringe/border on a PNG export using the Export | PNG routine.

Mike this is what canova is referring to.

When you export a PNG or GIF with 256 colors against a white background, the page for example, Xara anti-aliases the image to the white of the page.

If you place the exported bitmap over a darker background on a website, the anti-aliasing is very apparent.

Exporting the same image over any color background using True Color + Alpha does not show the anti-aliasing as you can see in the second example.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	white fringe.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	114196   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	True Color.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	114197  

Yes, that's the problem Gary. You saved me again. When I export, I open the Bitmap Size tab to select what to export. Do I also have to modify the DPI value (96 by default)? And what should be selected in the Anti-Aliasing box? Thanks!

If you are exporting for a website then 96dpi is fine.

If you export as TrueColor + Alpha there is nothing else to do. There is no anti-aliasing box that I know of. Xara does this automatically.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	114200

Thanks. I'm talking about the box on the right (see picture, please): maintain or minimise?

Minimise is what I find best.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

OK, I had forgotten about that. In any Xara menu, press Help for context sensitive help. This will explain the differences between the two. My export defaults to Minimize Visible Anti-aliasing.

@Egg and @Gary: thank you both for your reply.