Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Smart photo grids

There is quite a selection of the smart photo grids in the content catalog. My questions are
    1. Is there a description of what each of them does?
    2. I chose a 3x3 grid of fixed sized photos, but I only want to put 7 photos there right now. When I did that the last photo filled the last line, I really wanted it to stay the same size - is there a grid that does that?
    3. Is there a way to add titles to the photos, without embedding it in the photo?

Thanks
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Default Re: Smart photo grids

Quote Originally Posted by gracehjs View Post
    There is quite a selection of the smart photo grids in the content catalog. My questions are
    1. Is there a description of what each of them does?
    2. I chose a 3x3 grid of fixed sized photos, but I only want to put 7 photos there right now. When I did that the last photo filled the last line, I really wanted it to stay the same size - is there a grid that does that?
    3. Is there a way to add titles to the photos, without embedding it in the photo?

Thanks
    Grace, in working with the Smart Photo Grid 2, there are a few logical controls. the descriptions on-line are there but fairly tenuous so you have to be pragmatic.

A green dot on the bottom centre is to delete a photo - don't do that. Create two blank photos the same size and drop these onto where you don't need any images.
    Then ungroup the whole thing and delete the two blanks.

For the other controls (before ungrouping):
    The green right side green dot is to add a photo.
    A central blue dot is a click drag drop move of your images.
    The bottom left blue dot is a click drag to add/remove rows.

Play with these and you can set up any grid matrix: 33b1b, 3b1b3, b1b33, 7v, 7h, 222b1, 2221b. The types for 7 from nine are a large partition set, so extremely flexible.

If you are adding captions, wait until you have ungrouped and just add a text overlay and soft group.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I see documentation for the controls, that is not a problem. I just wondered it there was a description of the purpose of each of the different choices.

As for the captions, this grid is going to have different photos on a regular basis. It is an alphabetical set of out pilots or planes. When these change I will be sliding new ones into the grid. So, adding a separate set of captions won't really work I want the caption to slide with the photo.

A new question has anyone tried dragging a photo from a web site onto the grid - for me it kills the programme. Dragging from the desktop or file explorer works fine.

And I don't seem to be able to copy a photo from another .xar file and drop it onto one of the photos.
    Grace
    Xara Software XDP11

Well Grace, you don't need a grid at all, you can place your images manually.
    Try Hover Widget 4 instead,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks, I was coming to the conclusion that the smart grid was not the way to go. I will give the hover widget a try this afternoon.
    Grace
    Xara Software XDP11