Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Center Supersite in Mobile Browser (XDP 11)

Hi Xara Users,
    I have a Supersite that appears perfectly centered in a desktop web browser, but when I view it in an iPhone browser (Safari & Firefox) it hugs the left edge instead of centered with too much blank space to the right. When I drag the page to the center of the mobile browser it wants to pop back to the left edge. Otherwise looks fine in the phone, zooms in and out perfectly and easy to read, but not centered. I'm not using a mobile variant it's just a simple vertical and narrow supersite. http://www.keyrealestate.eu
    Thanks for any ideas to check out!
    Regards, Kevin in Barcelona

Default Re: Center Supersite in Mobile Browser (XDP 11)

Kevin, I've just approved you Post as it was in moderation due to your rank and the external link, which is a Xara-designed site.

Others have had similar issues and could be due to an invisible box in the Variant and obscure full or right text justifications and poorly set-up placeholders.

I'm sure a TGer will be along presently.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Welcome to TalkGraphics Kevin

Make sure you do not have any objects on the pasteboard for the mobile variant. I had a problem with this a few years ago and it made the page scroll from side to side on a cell phone.

Hi Acorn and Gary,
    Thanks for your replies they're much appreciated.

Actually I don't have a mobile variant just the main site. I went to each page, hit CTRL-A to see if there were hidden elements to the right but didn't see anything, all pages are the same size and layout.

I do have an embedded (external server) slideshow at the top of the first page, it's centered on the page and can't see it causing the off-center effect, but maybe there's something screwy with it that I don't see.

Is there some sort of "center-on-page" setting that I should be using? I can't find anything related to that so I presume that pages are centered by default.

Thanks again for your assistance!
    Kevin

Kevin, I was just scene setting but as you have the embedded code that would be a first to eliminate.
    So do you get the same effect in Xara's preview, internal or external browser if you reduce the browser width to that of a phone or mobile?
    If so, make a copy of your design file (web / xar) and in that delete the slideshow.
    Preview the site and change the browser width and see if the problem has gone.

If you have to use an iPhone you may have to publish 9to a sub-folder) and check there.

Next you could delete half of the pages and check and repeat until the problem pops.

Reload the copy and delete all the content on each page and place a repeating object on the index page. Check as above.

If all fails, copy a page at a time to a new file and check each one.

Sorry but it could be a long haul,
    Acorn

P.S. The quicker way might be to upload your design file and let TGers have a go.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Kevin, there's something that's making the page 1557px wide. Even on the desktop render there's a horizontal scrollbar, which just leads to white space on the right.

Your opening image (disregarding the 1557px asset above) is 960px wide. The remaining images are 800px wide. As for 'easy to read' I disagree, pinching and horizontal scrolling is far from easy to read. I'd recommend a mobile variant, with images max 480px wide and text a minimum of 20px. Google will not rate your site very well in it's current settings.

I suggest you upload your xar/web file as Acorn suggests.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k-burke.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	114065  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Gary Acorn and Egg,
    Thanks for all the good advice and tips, will check them out soon and update this post with the results. Yes same result in the XDP preview window just like an internet browser, so something weird in my project file, maybe that embedded slideshow is it.
    Yes I should make a mobile variant like you say Egg, I'm getting a lot more mobile phone hits than I anticipated and yes have to keep Mr. Google happy too! I thought people would search for houses with at least a hi-res tablet, but seems many actually using a phone, I suppose to start the search process or kill some time at the airport.
    Best Regards, will update soon, Kevin

May 2015
    The company says that “more Google searches take place on mobile devices than on computers in 10 countries including the US and Japan.” The company declined to elaborate further on what the other countries were, how recently this change happened or what the relative volumes of PC and mobile search queries are now.
    Google did tell us that mobile queries include mobile browser-based searches and those coming from Google’s mobile search apps. The company didn’t break down the relative shares of each.
    Google groups tablets with desktops. So this is just smartphones and does not include tablets.
    SOURCE
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg, Acorn and Gary,

The offset problem was indeed the HTML5 slideshow that I had embedded as an object, the slideshow displayed from the developer's server directly and must have brought something weird with it. So I installed the slideshow files on my server and now appears centered.

Now I'm practicing with a mobile variant (and trialing XDP 365) as you all suggest and thanks Egg for the Google search news. I was thinking that my mobile visitors (now around 40%) were mostly tablets but now I see that they are mobile phones so I better get on the bandwagon. However, now the weird offset issue appears again but only on the mobile variant and not on the main -- completely surprised me. I deleted everything on the mobile variant and just put a dot in the middle of the page, and the dot sits to the left when the mobile variant appears at 480pix wide. I even published and uploaded to a test folder on my server, and same appearance on the Internet. Just can't see how the offset doesn't affect the main site but appears when mobile variant appears -- any suggestions are much appreciated!

Best Regards, Kevin

Why your having this issue is hard to say Kevin. Can you attach your web/xar file. I attach an example that centres as expected.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg