Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What determines Xara's default Layer Name?

Whenever I use New Layer, Xara creates it with a default name like "Layer 8". The default name never coincides with the layers already defined for the page. For example, if I don't have any layers defined, the default name might be "Layer 2". I haven't been able to see any rhyme or reason to the default, although it possibly could be related to other XARs I have open at the time. I also don't see any Options setting that relates to this.

Is there any way to set the "Next Layer Name" that will be used? (Yes, I know that the name is easy to edit. But when I create 8 or 9 layers for a page, I have 8 or 9 edits to make.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Default Re: What determines Xara's default Layer Name?

No way that I know of. I always change the name of the layer to something that makes sense to me.

the default layer names are incremental

so if you already have 10 layers then the next layer will be called 'Layer 11'

this will be the case no matter what the existing layers have been changed to [or set in a custom default template]

duplicate layers are included in the count

but deletions do not reset the count, so it is possible to have say 6 layers, and the new layer will be called 'Layer 9' if two layers have been previously deleted...

actually it's more subtle - if there are layers called 'Layer n' then the next layer will be called 'Layer N+1' where 'N' is the highest value of 'n'; if all the layers have been renamed the next layer will be incrementally numbered
    Last edited by handrawn; 27 August 2016 at 09:48 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    if all the layers have been renamed the next layer will be incrementally numbered
    Indeed, the numbering does seem subtle. On a brand new web page, without any other pages or layers, New Layer assigned the name 'Layer 5'.

I'll have to do more testing to see if the default numbering is carried over from session to session. But, regardless, this looks like an easy thing for Xara to add to Options ... and even let the word 'Layer' be changed by the user.

Thanks for the responses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Layout.PNG 
Views:	82 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	114021

guess it looks at all the pages when incrementing layer names - I hardly eve use documnents that do not have the same number of layers on every page...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Contours View Post
    Indeed, the numbering does seem subtle. On a brand new web page, without any other pages or layers, New Layer assigned the name 'Layer 5'.
    I'll have to do more testing to see if the default numbering is carried over from session to session. But, regardless, this looks like an easy thing for Xara to add to Options ... and even let the word 'Layer' be changed by the user.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Layout.PNG 
Views:	82 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	114021
    It's not that subtle. Layer 5 is the fifth layer as you have four pre-arranged ones provided by the template.
    Layers can be re-arranged and named anything you like.
    The only rules are those that use special names for layers, and a special order, as described in Help > Index > Layers, Mouseover (Rollover) & Pop-ups.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    is the fifth layer as you have four pre-arranged ones provided by the template.
    Acorn
    Yes, that does explain the naming ... not that it helps for what I was trying to achieve. It's just that I've come to expect so much from Xara that when I come upon something like this, I quickly assume there's just some feature I'm not aware of. You only have to visit xaraone.com and view some of the tips to get the same impression.

... not that it helps for what I was trying to achieve.
    What are you actually trying to achieve Contours?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    What are you actually trying to achieve Contours?
    From my first post: "when I create 8 or 9 layers for a page, I have 8 or 9 edits to make"

I have many instances where I create several layers and where the name doesn't really need to be descriptive ... only unique. I would be very happy with Layer 1, Layer 2, etc. They would make sense to anyone reading the layout definition, months later. But having Layer 5 identifying the "next layer" is just confusing, so it begs to be renamed ... which takes time. I like to save time, which was the reason for my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Contours View Post
    From my first post: "when I create 8 or 9 layers for a page, I have 8 or 9 edits to make"
    I have many instances where I create several layers and where the name doesn't really need to be descriptive ... only unique. I would be very happy with Layer 1, Layer 2, etc. They would make sense to anyone reading the layout definition, months later. But having Layer 5 identifying the "next layer" is just confusing, so it begs to be renamed ... which takes time. I like to save time, which was the reason for my question.
    I have used Rename layer to "Fred#99" and copied the "Fred#" part then created a new Layer and pasted "Fred#" and "100" as a Rename operation. I have I have used Rename layer to "Fred#99" and the Duplicate layer 'Fred#99' option, which creates "Fred#99 - Copy", which is in Rename layer mode so editing is a tad quicker.

What you are after is, after creating "Fred#99", you want New layer to automatically create "Fred#100".
    The problem with this is I already have moved "Fred#100" to a lower stack position and when I go for New layer and the top layer is "Fred#99", the application gets conflicted.

It is possible but would involve a lot of coding. What would you expect if the layer didn't have an index?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat