Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Difficulty selecting text

I've just opened a page I deigned last week on a different machine (just loaded the software onto it). It looks fine, but when I try to select text to edit it each word seems to occupy its own text box. I'm used to using ctrl/shift/end for example to select a whole section, or shift/down arrow for a selection, or even that newfangled idea, the mouse, but none of these work. I can only select a word or two, and a red line appears under the selection. What am I doing wrong please?

Default Re: Difficulty selecting text

Best attach the xar/web file
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

OK. Here goes!

CICCA.web

No problems here.

Really? are you saying that you can select text easily, and the images flow?

Well what I'm finding is a dog's breakfast.

You have a NavBar where all the text is the same colour as the buttons on both layers.

You have the NavBar way off the actual page will a pile of text that is 28/12 pt and bold to boot.

You then have two clones of the text block that are overlapping and almost all on the page.

If there are images, they're not in this design file.
    All the text is selectable: double-click picks a word; triple-click, the paragraph and quadruple-click the block.
    Click-drag across the text select the range of text.
    Ctrl+A, the block.
    All when using the Text tool.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 20 August 2016 at 05:28 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Try the attached.

As Acorn so indelicately pointed out, everything was somehow way off the page and there was some duplicate text on the actual page. I added a background color to make it easier to see the page. And for my taste, the text looks cleaner without the bold face.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Indelicate! Moi?
    I'll try to be less heavy.

You have a 74 x 80 px image from a 10MB master file and the end result is illegible.
    The master itself is a scan that has had no cleaning up and would be vastly improved if you recreated a vector version of it.
    Doing so would mean that the represented logo would render far better for the end user in their browser.

Do not rely on what you see in your Xara design page, it always has to face the light of day in as many browsers and devices as possible.
    Xara makes this far easier than more other applications that I have had to use so do spend a little more time in designing your pages.

Do not try and correct your page, start afresh and break it into stages: NavBar, Logo, Text: font, size, alignment. Aim for an overall balance.
    Is the font in the logo, the text block and the NavBar all the same with the same weight of correct emphasis and so on.

Only when you understand the harmony of the page's element, can you call it a design

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Garys file still has each word in individual spans.

I've cleaned the text up here so it doesn't have individual spans for each word, just each line of text.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

By the way, I changed the text by selecting it and applying Normal Text to it. This removes the line/word break-ups and you can change Normal Text to suit.
    Egg