Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default bold an italic is removed when applying a style

Hi There,

I am working on a large multi page document. I have created some different styles for main text, title, subtitle ... I have received the text part in Word, it contains some very basic formatting like some words in italic or bold. Now when i copy the text in Xara (i choose for Rich Text Format), the basic formatting is still there, but when i then apply the style i have created for main text, all bolds and italics become normal. Any way around this without having to restyle everything by hand?

Thanks!

Matt

Default Re: bold an italic is removed when applying a style

In a word if you apply a paragraph style it will strip away your basic formatting you would need to apply a character style to your RTF text on each word. If you want to keep your Bold formating and say you just want to change the Font + fonts size + maybe colour, just highlight top paragraph do you changes and then from the drop down box select " Update Normal Text to Match". Then when you want to use this style just select "¶ Normal Text". Hope that helps!
    Design is thinking made visual.

This is definitely a problem and a vexing one at that.

In this case, I apply the style one paragraph at a time so I can make sure to italicize and boldface as needed. But it is very slow and is a drag.

This has worked for me and is worth a try. Format a paragraph as you want it with boldface and italics. Highlight the entire paragraph and copy to the clipboard (Ctrl c)

Select a few paragraphs of text and Paste > Paste Attributes. This seems to apply the font and recognizes the styles as well.

ok thanks i will try those solutions. Seems a very handy feature is missing, so this will hopefully be added in the future.

We can only hope.

Xara products would need to automatically create/apply a character style to imported text that has those attributes.

As I don't normally do enough documents that are text laden in XDP, what happens if text is imported versus pasted in? As well, if this imported text is actually formatted in Word properly (using paragraph & character styles), do those styles come into XDP?

Yes, in RTF format I think this would work.