Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do I access downloaded plug-ins in Xara Photo & Graphic 10?

How do I access downloaded plug-ins in Xara Photo & Graphic 10?

I have found several photoshop plugins online that I would like to try out. I have downloaded several and can not find them listed with the built in effects.

I have followed the instructions - UTILITYS - OPTIONS - EFFECT & PLUGINS "Set folders for plugins and effects" Everything seems to be correct.

I have viewed several video tutorials, but they all seem to stop short of the last few steps.

Thank you,

GClick image for larger version. 

Name:	effects tab.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	113908

Default Re: How do I access downloaded plug-ins in Xara Photo & Graphic 10?

In the window that opens after you click "Set folders for plugins and effects" click Add folder.. browse to your downloaded plug-ins and click okay.

Be aware, not all PS plugins work in Xara.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plug-ins.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	113910  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank you,

I have double checked and the plug-ins are in the correct folder.

It is possible that the plugins are not compatible (see attached photo) Attachment 113912

I have read all of the support info that I can find but I have not found a list of what is, and is not, comparable with Xara Photo & Graphic 10.
    Is there a list published? What type of file is used?
    Is a plugin just a list of levels for the standard filters (some that I have downloaded are 3KB) or is it a larger program that runs in the background.

There are hundreds of PS plugins listed online but I can't tell which ones are comparable.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plug in list.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	113913

Thank you for the help. I have used Xara for 12 years but have never needed to modify photos.

g

Quote Originally Posted by glennmorendorff View Post
    There are hundreds of PS plugins listed online but I can't tell which ones are comparable.

The Photoshop compatible plugins have the .8bf file extension following their names. However, not all .8bf files work but many (especially the older ones) do. As you mention, there are hundreds of plugins, free and paid for, and you don't want them all in your plugin folder because you 'would get lost'. It's better to handpick the ones you need or like and then see if they are compatible. Which types of effects are you after?

You should be adding a folder, you appear to be trying to add a file ???
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I am working on some advertising work and would like to add some style to the images and also print some large format prints. (8 ft X 12 ft)

I would like to try several plugins (oil painting, sketch effect, aged photo, etc.)

Some of the PS plugins that I have found are -- .ai .psd .atn --- is there a master list if the file types that are compatible with Xara?
    I have tested the effects loaded into Xara Photo & Graphic 10 and there are so many settings that a specific effect has been trial & error.
    I hoped that using a plugin (preset effect) would get me close to the final effect and then I could make adjustments that with my needs.

I have searched the Xara forums that I could find, but there is very little information.

I don't want to gum up my computer downloading and trying files that will not work?

Thank you,

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by glennmorendorff View Post
    Some of the PS plugins that I have found are -- .ai .psd .atn --- is there a master list if the file types that are compatible with Xara?
    As I mentioned in my earlier post, the compatible file type is .8bf but with the caveat that many don't work (for a number of reasons, among which new developments Adobe Photoshop underwent and the use of 32- and 64-bit versions).

The number of effects available is quite overwhelming so I'd suggest you initially limit yourself to a few effects you're after (e.g., the art filters), do some Googling, download some freebies and/or trials, and start experimenting with them. Trial & error is how you learn to use plugins.

The file extensions you mention, are not filters. ai is the file format for illustrator, psd the file format for photoshop and atn, I believe is some kind of macro to perform certain actions within photoshop. As Boy says you need to look for some .8bf files and just try them and see if they work with your setup.

there are a number of Photoshop plugins that will work.
    Among them are:

http://www.xero-graphics.co.uk/#!/co...ads/index.html
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.