Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can you NOT show some pages on a mobile variant?

I am working on a mobile variant for one of my sites. I am not using a Xara template. I don’t want all the pages on the mobile version. For instance out of 15 pages I may only want 4 or 5.

I have made sections ‘Stop sharing with all variants’ and then deleted them on the mobile version which seemed to work OK, but when I do this on a page it deletes from the Main Site too.

I’ve watched the 2 videos on created a mobile site but this does not seem to be covered.

Default Re: Can you NOT show some pages on a mobile variant?

Could you not just delete the link to the pages in the mobile variants nav bar?

Not a clever solution, but maybe a pragmatic one?

Oh... Sometimes the most simple answer is the most clever. It worked marvelously. Thanks very much.

But, doesn't work if you are viewing the Main Site and then change the browser width.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn - Does it remove the page if you are viewing it on a mobile device instead of reducing the browser width?

OK I tried it http://gwpriester.xara.hosting/variant/ Look at this on your monitor and on your cell or tablet. 6 pages on the main, 4 on the mobile.

Must be a bug?
    Last edited by gwpriester; 11 August 2016 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Acorn - Does it remove the page if you are viewing it on a mobile device instead of reducing the browser width?
    Yes, but the problem is you can change a tablet or phone from landscape to portrait, achieving the same transformation so the issue can happen for unexpected viewport widths, for which you cannot plan.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

And follow up, Acorn. I tested the page in Firefox, Opera, Edge, IE, and Chrome by narrowing the width of the screen and all browsers display the reduced number of buttons on the mobile variant. Not sure how you got it to do what you are reporting.

Gary, I have a Main Page X of 960 px.
    I do not want to show my Variant Page X of 480 px.

I have a Galaxy Tab 7-inch TFT LCD display with a resolution of 1024 x 600 pixels.

In Landscape (1024px), I see Main (960px: for browser widths 720px and above).
    In Portrait (600px), I see the unwanted Variant (480px: for browser widths up to 720px).

Acorn

I would submit this then as a bug.

Yes I did have that problem with my tablets. The mobile phone version only shows the pages you want, but if you are viewing it on a tablet it shows the pages you don't want if in landscape (obviously depending the size of the screen) but not in portrait. In the end I put a note on those pages in case people turned the screen from portrait to landscape. But perhaps there will be a way to do it. I've only had the software for a few weeks and found the video on creating a mobile variant very very good, especially the navigation bar bit. Thanks for the advice and help.