Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Kerning and sticky problems.

Hi,
    I am running Xara Designer Pro X11 on Windows 7.

My problems are the following:
    - I have used the font Frutiger (a T1-font) and can't kern the font. When I highlight the font the kerning box turns grey.
    Is there a way to come around this, without having to break the text into individual letters?

- I have placed a bitmap on the bottom of a page and decided to let it stretch. That works fine, but the image gets cropped when stretched. Not in width, but in height. Any solutions to this?

- I have created a box to be sticky on top. On the box I have placed text, but that does not show when previewing. I then created a group and then a soft group to get it to work - but it doesn't. Why doesn't the text show?

Are there bugs, or is it just me?

/Olle in Sweden
    Olle Dahlquist
    Web and Graphics Designer
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se

Default Re: Kerning and sticky problems.

Re kerning:

Kerning is the process of adding or subtracting space between specific pairs of characters. Tracking is the process of loosening or tightening a block of text.
    Tracking will adjust all the spaces between all characters equally.

Kerning just increases/decreases the spacing between two characters. Just click in the space between two characters in a word and you can adjust the Kerning.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

- I have placed a bitmap on the bottom of a page and decided to let it stretch. That works fine, but the image gets cropped when stretched. Not in width, but in height. Any solutions to this?
    I'm afraid not. You can set whether its cropped from Top, Centre or Bottom however.

I have created a box to be sticky on top. On the box I have placed text, but that does not show when previewing. I then created a group and then a soft group to get it to work - but it doesn't. Why doesn't the text show?
    It should - I can only think you may have your text in another layer than Mouse Off.

Can you attach a web/xar file showing this problem?

EDIT: When you group objects any sticky is removed. You need to select the group & re-sticky it again.

See attachment.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 09 August 2016 at 03:05 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

You are right.
    Having worked with kerning and tracking for over 20 years my brain took a short, but well needed, holiday - and I forgot how to do it... ;-)

/Olle
    Olle Dahlquist
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se

I had to do a bit of searching too. I only ever use Kerning when fitting text to a curve, other than that I just use Tracking.
    Egg

Thanks Egg!

I have tried to make a page with the problems - scroll and crop.
    Now it seems to work ok with text in a box that is sticky.

I can't understand why a bitmap has to be cropped and I don't understand why the text from the page shows over the top sticky box and text.

Still confused, and probably at the same level...

/Olle

olledahlquist_test.xar
    Olle Dahlquist
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se

Try this Olle. The bottom image is set to Stretchy Full Screen ~ Tile
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Thanks Egg!

That looks great. However, I am curious about what my client will say about the tiling... It's however worth a try.
    Now the sticky top looks great, thanks!

In my opinion I am hoping that Xara will do new, and better, videos on how to do things. Or is it me that does not find them all?

Thanks again!

/Olle in Sweden, just below the Arctic circle.
    Olle Dahlquist
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se

Olle, I believe it was Gary P who posted the stretchy on Page Background layer to get around the issues you were having. The problem with stretchty objects is that it must remain within a set width (or height) otherwise as they enlarge they would overlap other page objects .
    Egg