Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Using FTP

Default Using FTP

I exported my website files intending to upload them manually to my testing server rather than using the 'publish' option. (I intend to try both methods to see which I prefer). I'm used to having to keep html files, css files and images in separate folders. Is this the case with Xara files, or do they all sit in the same folder?

Default Re: Using FTP

Xara creates an index_htm_files folder and images and css files are placed in this folder and referenced from the page HTM or HTML documents.

The first time you publish through Xara is can take a little time depending on the speed of your connection. But if you opt to publish changed files only, after that it is fairly fast.

Because Xara can often changes image names when you add content and republish, even if you use an external FTP application, you should upload all the files.

Thanks. That is clear. However, when I exported my files there is no htm index file among them, so I get a 404 error when I try to access the site online. Do I need to do something different?

Also, I read that ftp login uses my usual username and password, but these don't work. Where can I retrieve my login details?

At it's simpelast when you File / Export a website to a folder, at the very basic for a one page website, it creates an index.htm file and a folder named index_htm_files.

You just need to upload theses via your ftp program.

Your username and password will only be known by you. You might change them with the help of your website hosting providor.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Are you trying to use xara.hosting? This would be the email address and password associated with your purchase.

Go here http://www.xara.com/us/servicecenter/ and check I have forgotten my password and reset your password. Then I think you will have to log into https://www.xara-online.com/us/

Sorry. Stupid question. I've sorted it now.