Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Tracing with the magnetic lasso tool

I have found that the magnetic lasso is a wonderful tool for tracing. When you use the lasso to trace an object in a photo you are creating a vector shape on a mask layer. Now remember that ctrl +C and Ctrl+V can be used to cut out a piece of your photo? That piece is a duplicate photo clipped inside a vector shape so if you just change the fill of that piece to flat you have a completely vector shape.

There are also two more very handy shortcuts for the lasso tool that are really helpful
    1. T toggles the magnetic lasso on and off just like the button on the info bar so you can easily switch to quick freehand tracing of areas that are difficult for the lasso tool.
    2.like many other of Xara's drawing tools holding down the Alt key constrains the lasso tool to straight lines.

Attached is a WIP (it still needs shading and textures) I imported a photo of an orchid from pixabay and set up my document so the nudge size matches the width of the photo. The rest of my workflow for tracing is something like this:

trace the shapes with the lasso tool toggling the tool on and off as needed
    ctrl+c to copy
    ctrl+shift+v to paste in place
    right arrow to nudge
    change the fill to flat and set the colour
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orchid_WIP.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	113789  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: Tracing with the magnetic lasso tool

Sorry frances I'm missing you here.

Now remember that ctrl +C and Ctrl+V can be used to cut out a piece of your photo?
    Do you mean Copy and Paste? and as you state later Ctrl+Shift+V pastes in place?

I can't then follow:

right arrow to nudge
    change the fill to flat and set the colour
    For what purpose?

I think I'm missing the overall reason for your post. Sorry if I'm being thick.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg I put together a quick video I hope this helps clarify what I'm talking about. I do apologize for my crappy mike, unfortunately a new mike is low on my priorities list right now. It makes it sound like I'm really beating on my keyboard but I wasn't hitting the keys hard at all.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

looks to be an interesting tool but my version does not have that tool and I cannot justify going pro just for this one tool. I did download both 365 pro trial versions so will see what else I am missing.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Interesting, thanks Angelize!

Ah! Thanks Frances, now I understand you.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

You are quite welcome Richinri and Egg.

@ Larry: what version are you currently using? If you have p&gd 365 you should find the magnetic lasso tool on the flyout with all the masking and region tools.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Easy picture to use with the major colour differences in your example. Well done Frances I learned another part of the programme that you could change the bitmap copy into a vector shape. Hadn't a clue that you could do that, all that I could remember was the sketch mode using the Pencil Tool and that is poor.
    Design is thinking made visual.

p&gd 365 Frances. Cannot seem to find the magnetic lasso tool anywhere and I have looked. Finally managed to post a ticket about the 365Pro issue, guess I'll have to do one about this issue as well.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

First I may uninstall and reinstall frm the disk
    Larry a.k.a wizard509