Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Client Input / User Input

Is there a workaround so the client can update some amount of text content? and separately so the public can submit text content?

Previously I have used wordpress for both of these, then displayed the content as an rss feed. Is there a better way to do this?

(Im not asking that they can update the website in any way, just to have their text displayed)

Default Re: Client Input / User Input

I have this exact same need ... and found this post in my search. So the question is:

Is there any provision in Xara, for a web visitor to key in a text string—even something as simple as a number—and have it displayed on the site?

If there is such a provision, is there a way to hand the string to a javascript function, so that the site can "process" the entry and respond accordingly.

I'll elaborate on the question I just posted: are form widgets the answer?

Since I only need to bring in one string, can I use a custom form? If so, can someone suggest the best widget? And is there an example XAR?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Form Widgets.PNG 
Views:	86 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	114613

Update: Each of the form widgets requires a subscription or posts ads to visitors. I won't use such things. So my original question stands:

Is there any provision in Xara, for a web visitor to key in a text string—even something as simple as a number—and have it displayed on the site?

Hi Contours,

So a user goes onto your site, and inserts a text string, and presses send and it appears on the page, is this temporary or permanent? So if they refresh the page do they lose their input? or does it update your site for all users?

I am not sure what you mean/ need. Do you have an example of what your trying to do?

Thanks,
    Ben

I would like to accept 10 to 20 characters and have the string held for "reference" during that visitor's session. The string would be specific for each visitor and would not need to be held after the visitor departs. The request for input would only occur when a visitor first comes to a particular page. In other words, the logic would be: "if session's string empty, prompt visitor to enter a string".

Thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by Contours View Post
    I would like to accept 10 to 20 characters and have the string held for "reference" during that visitor's session. The string would be specific for each visitor and would not need to be held after the visitor departs. The request for input would only occur when a visitor first comes to a particular page. In other words, the logic would be: "if session's string empty, prompt visitor to enter a string".
    Thanks for your response.
    I don't understand your Use Case at all. However, you probably need to use sometime that controls your browser's sessionStorage: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_webstorage.asp. The button part would have a display of a simple input form when the variable is null. localStorage persists across separate sessions.

A working example: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...eb_Storage_API

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@Acorn: Well, somehow the gist of my request made it through, because LocalStorage is exactly what I was seeking ... only I didn't know it existed! The two links you provided were an excellent introduction. Here's another: https://www.smashingmagazine.com/201...how-to-use-it/

But before I move (stumble) forward on this, can you suggest how the necessary elements might be defined in a Xara page? Placeholders? Page header? Page body?

I'm unable to find a single reference to LocalStorage in these forums or in Xara help. One XAR example would work wonders. This looks like powerful technology that the Xara community could benefit from.

Thanks for your help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Store Elements.PNG 
Views:	80 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	114622

You would create a Placeholder body code with a HTML form element that had an input filed that you give an id.
    After that it would be a case of changing the HTML in the following; http://www.mysamplecode.com/2012/04/...-tutorial.html
    The JavaScript would go in the code head.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat