Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Naming images for SEO

Hi Acorn - thanks for the quick response - I think I am getting there, but have couple more quick questions:

1. If I am following your naming convention suggestion correctly you are advocating having nothing between each of the individual words - will this amalgam be meaningful?

2. For page urls is a - the best way to go for breaks between words?

In the past I have always used the process of right clicking on the picture, selecting web properties and then the image tab and then used the 'image caption' field.
    Continue doing this. Image caption, better known as Alt tags are important in SEO. It's not naming the image though, just supplying information for users with accessability issues. For example if you don't name an image but give it an Alt property on first publication Xara may give the image the name 12.jpg. If you add additional images and republish, this time the image may be renamed 154.jpg but the Alt will remain the same.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Finally I am also a little confused re the variant issue - am I actually better off by stopping sharing between variants prior to adding a name to the image on each of the variants? If so this will multiply the time by the number of variants.
    Sorry nobbyy, perhaps this illustrates the problem. I've attached the xar file I used to create this video so you can see the difference each time you preview. So I suggest you do as Acorn suggests by unlinking the images. I tend to create bitmap copy in the mobile variant , delete the original from the mobile variant, and give it a similar name as the main site.

Watch Full Screen to see the differences in image quality.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by nobbyy View Post
    Hi Acorn - thanks for the quick response - I think I am getting there, but have couple more quick questions:
    1. If I am following your naming convention suggestion correctly you are advocating having nothing between each of the individual words - will this amalgam be meaningful?
    2. For page urls is a - the best way to go for breaks between words?
    1. is not meaningful but SEO engines are quite smart; it locks a fixed name so Xara doesn't republish with another numbered filename; I don't bother with SEO trivia. 2. a hyphen is probably the best.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Well, so much for what I learned to do long ago - putting underscores in file names so they would be somewhat readable. I'm glad I read this post as I am in the process of building a small Web Site. Quote: Computers add %20 for spaces automatically, so SEO is OK. Underscores are not easily discoverable or visible in a browser's address bar so don't use then for page URLs. End Quote SO, I now need to go back and rename my files before I get too far along in this!

Hi Egg/Acorn

Egg - many thanks for taking the time to produce the video - it really illustrates the point well.

Acorn - many thanks for the clarification!