Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Resize menu bttons

I've just downloaded Xara on a trial basis, and want to check it out to see if it's worth buying. I've got as far as inserting a menu bar, and I can see how to edit its text, but I'd like the buttons to be larger, and I can't see how to do this. I think I need to access a style menu, but can't find it.

Second issue. I've just tried to insert an image in the text on a page, and it floats over the text rather than being inserted into it. Again, I can't see how to change this.

Help please. I'd also be grateful for suggestions about getting up the learning curve a bit more quickly.

Thanks.

Default Re: Resize menu bttons

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Second question first. Bring the graphic or photo to the front (Arrange > Bring to Front). Right click and select Repel Text Under.

Nav Bar question. Double click on the Navigation bar to open the Navigation Bar properties menu.

Click the Ungroup to Edit Graphics button then click OK.

In the Page & Layer Gallery (right side of screen) click the S next to Mouse Off layer.

Hold down the Ctrl key and click on the rectangle for the Home button and resize as you wish. The other MouseOff buttons will resize accordingly.

Click the S next to the MouseOff layer to make everything visible again.

Now Ctrl click on the visible button rectangle for Home which will be the MouseOver level and make the rectangle the same size.

Double click again and select either All Buttons Same Size or Adjust Button Width to Labels.

Navbars are scalable like all Xara objects so just use the select tool and drag a corner.
    The object is the style. NavBars usually have themed colours and the font can be quickly changed with the Text tool as can the font size.
    For the rest, you can edit inside the NavBar and you can break a NavBar into graphics and tweak those.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks. I've tried to insert thge image as you suggest. Bring to Front was greyed out, so I assume it was already at the front. I moved it back then moved it forward again. I right clicked, and Repel Text Under was already checked. I unchecked and re-checked it. The image continues to float serenely above the text. What am I doing wrong?

Haven't yet had time to try your other method.

brocsman - when you preview the page, do you see the image? It sounds like the image has been added to another layer, such as the MouseOver layer.

Open the Page & Layer Gallery and click the S icon next to MouseOff layer to isolate just that layer.

If everything is OK then try this. Right click on the text and see if Repel Text Under is checked. This is a common mistake which can also lead to the results you are having.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    brocsman - when you preview the page, do you see the image? It sounds like the image has been added to another layer, such as the MouseOver layer.

Open the Page & Layer Gallery and click the S icon next to MouseOff layer to isolate just that layer.

If everything is OK then try this. Right click on the text and see if Repel Text Under is checked. This is a common mistake which can also lead to the results you are having.
    Yes, I see the image in preview. This is what I see otherwise. Repel Text Under is ticked, but the image still floats.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	113749

Select the text. In the bottom left of the window, what does the status line report i.e. Text Line, Text Column or Text Cursor? And what layer does it report it's on?

If it reports a Text Line, you'll need to convert it to a Column or Cursor.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Select the text. In the bottom left of the window, what does the status line report i.e. Text Line, Text Column or Text Cursor? And what layer does it report it's on? If it reports a Text Line, you'll need to convert it to a Column or Cursor.
    Egg, Line, Column or Area, surely?

As long as the image is in a higher Layer, it should repel text, except for a text line.

@brocsman, click the locate button and then select the image. In the gallery, it will show you what layer it is on.
    Or just look on the status line.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks both. Yes, it shows as a text line. Both are in the Mouseoff layer. How do I convert please?

Quote Originally Posted by brocsman View Post
    Thanks both. Yes, it shows as a text line. Both are in the Mouseoff layer. How do I convert please?
    In the Text tool, select all the text and Copy.
    Create a text box and Paste. Delete the original.

Acorn