Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default transparency layer sanity check

Can someone bring up each of the attached png files and verify they have a transparent background? The first one works fine (test1.png) in the app I'm using to create a pdf file; the second image's transparency layer does not come throughClick image for larger version. 

Name:	test1.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	113636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test2.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	113637. Created them with Xara P&GD 10.

Thanks!

--Ben

Default Re: transparency layer sanity check

You want to create your bitmap True Color + Alpha vs 265 colors and Transparency. Both of your examples are 265 colors with Transparency and are OK on a white background but not over a photo or colored background.

And if these are for printing, your resolution should be 300dpi or higher.

Sigh. There is so much I don't know about this stuff that it is scary. Where do you learn about these types of things??

Thanks, Gary!

--Ben

The different attributes worked very nicely. Until I printed it to a pdf file: the 'transparent' background affects the background color and it is a different color when printed. But not on the screen. ?

Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can attach a pdf file to this reply.

--Ben

Where do you learn about these types of things??
    Well. I graduated from Art Center College of Design with a degree in Advertising Design in 1967 and have been working in the field ever since.

What PDF settings are you using? I exported this PDF file using PDF/X and it seems OK.

Also, if you have the vector version of the logo and text, then I would use that instead of a bitmap.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Well. I graduated from Art Center College of Design with a degree in Advertising Design in 1967 and have been working in the field ever since.

What PDF settings are you using? I exported this PDF file using PDF/X and it seems OK.

Also, if you have the vector version of the logo and text, then I would use that instead of a bitmap.
    Well, that explains a lot. LOL...

The package I use to generate this is a programming language called SAS. It has the ability to bring in images and lay them onto rectangular regions that have background colors, as well as dropping text in, etc. Other than knowing it works best with 150 DPI, most of the pdf attributes it chooses are not modifiable.

Pulling up the PDF characteristics of one of the test output file, I see it has the attached properties.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prop1.PNG 
Views:	99 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	113640

I only have import choices of gif, jpg & png. The language does have other redeeming qualities though.

--Ben

Then what is happening is that when the image is flattened against its colored background, the application is not properly handling the transparency and you'll get that "discolored box" area. It is the bounding box of the image (where the transparency is) causing it.

Get a hold of SAS. It's there problem if you are not using your Xara application to output the PDF.

I never realized Xara's graphics program would generate a pdf file. Just did, and sure enough it was completely clean.

Ticket's been opened up with SAS tech support. Thanks for the education!

--Ben

This has been a good day for you.

I also moved this into the Xara Graphics Chat forum.

My memory is not as good as it should be but does Xara P&GD 10, which bconner is using, have the ability to export to PDF/X! Not sure
    Design is thinking made visual.