Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Bacillus bacterium animation was easy.
    How do you make a screen shot? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

I have a compaq computer for Windows apps.

buddycom
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    buddycom

Bacillus bacterium animation was easy.
    How do you make a screen shot? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

I have a compaq computer for Windows apps.

buddycom
    buddycom

Screenshots in Windows are very easy. Just press the Print Screen (or PrntScrn) button on the keyboard. Windows copies the entire screen to the clipboard. You can then paste the image into Xara (or any other app). To capture the active window, press the Alt and Print Screen keys at the same time.

Note: neither of these methods will capture the mouse cursor as part of the screenshot. You need a dedicated screen capture program for this. Alternatively, you can create a cursor yourself. The example below is a "fake" mouse pointer drawn in Xara Webster.

Regards - Adil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menu_capture.gif 
Views:	631 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	12302  

I have been told by others that to do as you suggested would capture the active screen. It does not. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

buddycom
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    buddycom

I've never found the Windows print screen to be particularly useful.

For most of my captures (and I do a lot of them in documenting the software my company develops), I use Paint Shop Pro. It's quick, it's easy, it's sufficiently flexible in terms of what I'm capturing, and it's reasonably priced for a paint program. Capturing the active object is one of the options.

In addition, all the tools I need for cleaning up/cropping/modifying the captures are easily accessible through single mouseclicks or (my favorite part) single letter keypresses. For my documentation, help system and online needs, PSP is more than sufficient.

What it does not do is allow me to set the dpi at anything other than screen resolution. For the occasional times when I have to provide 300dpi captures for use in our fancy, 4-color marketing material, I use CorelCapture, which is bundled with Corel PhotoPaint. If you have a Corel app, you might check the CD and see if CorelCapture is included.

There are plenty of other screen capture apps around, including freeware/shareware versions, I'm sure. Can't help you on those since I haven't used them, but perhaps other Xarans can point you to them.

Buddy,

If you press the PrintScreen button, it does capture the screen, but the image is stored on the clipboard.

Go into Xara and press CTRL+V to paste it into a blank document, then you can see it.

If you only want to take a screenshot of a particular window, one that doesn't fill the screen for example, hold down the left hand ALT button and then press PrintScreen.

Then when you go into Xara (or Paintbrush, Word, etc etc) and paste the image from the clipbaord, you'll only have the window you wanted

Daniel

Hi all,

One nice thing I like about Xara when capturing screenshots is how easy it is to slice or size the image in different ways (or even add callouts). Some simple examples below.

Cheers
    Adil

Name:	screenshots.gif 
Views:	587 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	11072  

The Japanese are really efficicient.
    There are as many as four characters assigned to each key on the keyboard. That's because there are three alphabets, and symbols and kanji.
    Then there are six buttons which can in various combinations, assiign different modes to the keyboard keys. After a lengthy trial and error effort I finally hit the right combination which enabled me to take screen shots. I wish to thank everyone for attempts to help.
    The screen shots taken can be saved at resolutions as high as 200 dpi.
    Here's what was on the screen when the serendipitous breakthrough occured:

buddycom

Name:	screen.jpg 
Views:	530 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	17924  
    buddycom

If you press PrintScrn/SysRq (as on your Compaq, 'wonder what Sys I'd request from a Cpq? An Aplha?) in combination with the Alt you capture the active window ...