Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Terrible Google PageSpeed ratings...for a blank website.

you made me think
    a while ago I was having a nightmare working with a website that had three variants (large+tablet+mobile). This was on a very decent spec PC. The software simply cant handle live text etc between all three variants. Even Xara know this! .... I sat every day looking at the edits update - true nightmare. I then (due to hints from this forum) deleted the tablet version - now I have very fast! .... happy. But now I'm wondering if the additional edition had any impact on load speed once loaded to the server? I never did a before and after page speed load to check? If Xara are fixing their awful multi variant issues this is something they should also keep an eye on. I have to admit that I didn't see a speed problem when I had three variants and browsing on the internet. But these google tools see speed differences we don't and score our sites accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Room101 View Post
    you made me think
    a while ago I was having a nightmare working with a website that had three variants (large+tablet+mobile). This was on a very decent spec PC. The software simply cant handle live text etc between all three variants. Even Xara know this! .... I sat every day looking at the edits update - true nightmare. I then (due to hints from this forum) deleted the tablet version - now I have very fast! .... happy. But now I'm wondering if the additional edition had any impact on load speed once loaded to the server? I never did a before and after page speed load to check? If Xara are fixing their awful multi variant issues this is something they should also keep an eye on. I have to admit that I didn't see a speed problem when I had three variants and browsing on the internet. But these google tools see speed differences we don't and score our sites accordingly.

That's the bit that worries me. I'll keep an eye on my ranking changes now that the new site is live and let you know if I see anything happen.

Even pages with almost no content on them rank badly on speed tests it would seem.

Hi, I am very adept at optimizing websites for Google, please let me know if you want me to optimize your site for you (for free).
    I am going to write an article on this for everyone's benefit but need to achieve good improvements on a variety of sites to justify writing an article.

Looking forward to the article! Some experienced members have already posted SEO tips, so you may want to check those out as wel.

Hi forresthowie. I wouldn't be too concerned about google dropping your rankings due to your page speed because your website loads in the blink of an eye on both my desktop and my mobile, even though when I tested it on google pagespeed it gave a ranking of 67/100 for the desktop and 51/100 for the mobile. However, this is not a problem as when google refer to slow loading websites they are referring to websites that load slower than 35/100. Most websites load around 47 to 71. Most of the issues gps picked up with your site were to do with fonts and with your advertising with doubleclick.net, which you may or may not have used (hackers use doubleclick.net all the time to 'borrow' websites rankings...but that is another story.

It is interesting to note that it often - in fact most often - is not your website software or your website design that slows down the loading speed of a website. Usually the loading speed is determined by your Web Hosting. If your host's server is a slow system (underpowered), or your hosting plan does not support the size of your website and the technology you are using for your website (which includes plugins), then the way to improve the speed is not by deleting things on your site but by upgrading your hosting programme. Most people do not ever think of this and start deleting all sorts of things on their website.

You do not need to do anything as your website loads faster than most - and it is a very nice functional website by the way. I enjoyed browsing it and if I did not live so far away I would be on one of your tours tomorrow!
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, 'Oh s$%#t....she's awake!'