Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Stretchy images

Default Stretchy images

Hi folks,

I place a 960px wide jpg image on a 960px wide page and set Stretch to: Full width / Center / Scale stretched object. When the browser window is the width of the page, the image appears normally. As I widen the browser window, more and more of the lower part of the image disappears below the bottom border of the image. I understand that the image will be distorted horizontally, but I don't understand why the bottom portion should disappear. What might I be misunderstanding? Thanks.

Default Re: Stretchy images

You are probably missing the top of the photo as well if you set it to stretch full width (horixontally).

Don't know what the pros will say, but my experience has been that the placeholder for the picture stays the same height, while the picture scales to match the width of the visible area.

In my experience it has been "centered" vertically, while stretching horizontally. I actually like that idea. Takes a bit of planning, but works out well for me.

Aha! You are correct, Dijenga. Thanks. I didn't notice that because the bottom is ocean and the top is sky. So I guess the next question for the group is . . . "Is it possible somehow to make it stretch only horizontally?"

There is an Scale Origin option on how the image is centered as it stretches, so it can be top, middle or bottom.

An image that is 960 pixels wide is not going to look very good on a wider browser. Higher resolution is better.

Aha! again. My misunderstanding. Thanks for your input. Without even testing it, I was presuming that the top/middle/bottom setting related to vertical stretching only. Yes, I would think that a higher pixel width would be best. I started at 2000, to fit an HD monitor, but I cropped it to 960 to match the page width just in case that had something to do with the problem I was having, which it apparently didn't. Would there be any advantage in using higher than 2000px wide? Any further suggestions regarding the use of full width header images would be much appreciated.