Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default protecting images from being downloaded

Just wondering if there is a way to protect images from being downloaded from a website created with 365?

Default Re: protecting images from being downloaded

I don't use Xara Web products, but I'd say that it's a pointless exercise as any screen grab application worth its salt will capture pretty much anything on the web.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

GStas

You posted this in two forums so I deleted the other thread.

There is a way to make it harder but it is not absolute. You can add a script (you will need to search for one online) that disables right button use on your site. Search for exactly what you asked for. There may be some better schemes since I last used one of these scripts.

Bob is correct that just using Window's Print Screen will capture any image and at the same resolution. The best you can do is add your copyright to your images and from time to time do a search for your images. TinEye.com is a free service that lets you upload an image and then search to see if it appears online.

Again, if someone in another country or even your own country is using your image, you can ask them to take it down or request their web host to do so, but that's about all. And it can be a full time job.

thanks for deleting the other post. i could see how to do it.
    I thought this would be the case with images.
    Cheers

It is too bad that someone has not come up with a solution to the downloading of images, other than just the 72 dpi versions. It could possibly be something like a WATERMARK that is all but hidden on a graphic and then with a DOWNLOAD command of any kind the watermark is popped up on top of the photo and filled in with a total black or some hideous color of hatching! Maybe the "geek squad" could make a few bucks from something like this???

Maybe place an almost transparent object over the images of the same size.
    Then when they right click and save they just save the transparent object and not your image.

Still won't prevent them from taking a screen grab.

GStas, what is your specific concern over people taking a copy of an image?

For commercial protection your images can include a copyright notice.

Most images online have no monetary value at all to the downloader.

I'm looking at buying Adobe Lightroom. One of the reasons is its ability to watermark a photo.

It's quite simple to create a watermark in Xara. For example see the attached. You can place this in a folder named 'watermarks' somewhere on your machine. Then go to the fill gallery, click disc fills, navigate to the 'watermarks' folder, open it and hit Add. Xara will ask if you want to create an index, click yes. After this your watermark/s will be available to drop onto any photo you want straight from the fill gallery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watermark.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	113800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	room101-watermark.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	113801  

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

This type of signature has advantages over the lightroom method in that it can be placed wherever required and transparency can be adjusted to suit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city-of-naples.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	113805  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host