Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: "Xara Designer Pro X" name STINKS. Here's why ...

I'm with CQDX on this. The naming is a complete dogs dinner. We're now on version 12 but this has been dropped from the name. Meanwhile the Windows apps just reports it as Xara Designer Pro X. Xara's website calls it Xara Designer Pro X but on mouse over it's named Xara Designer Pro X 365. There no longer appears to be a non Pro version, so why the 'Pro'? And why the 'X'?

Xara Designer would suit me fine!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara-designer.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	113521  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

a multiplicity of poissonnier have spoilt the bouillabaisse...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    It is and that's why I added value by suggesting a solution to your migration difficulties.
    In the knowledgebase article your refer to (http://support.xara.com/index.php?/K...ogram-versions) there is a part that I don't really understand: "If you have used an existing website document to save the FTP details to, you may want to delete these details from being saved in the document."

Can you explain the logic that is being used here?

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    In the knowledgebase article your refer to (http://support.xara.com/index.php?/K...ogram-versions) there is a part that I don't really understand: "If you have used an existing website document to save the FTP details to, you may want to delete these details from being saved in the document."
    Can you explain the logic that is being used here?
    Quite simply, you might include the FTP password therein and there is no way to prevent it being exposed if the design file was copied by someone else.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I understand your answer, thanks, but still find the sentence in the knowledgebase rather allusive.

[QUOTE=Acorn;557473]It is and that's why I added value by suggesting a solution to your migration difficulties.
    Acorn[QUOTE]

Thanks but it's a PITA doing this one at a time please. So if it is going to be one at a time, I trust myself more doing this: open X11 in one monitor and X365 in another, then copy and paste.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Nome of this would be an issue if the title bar had Xara Designer Pro 365 on it. Which is what the product page says on xara.com
    BINGO!! - Correct - ahhh, but too logical. So let's see, you sell the product as X365, DUH - doesn't it make sense to include this everywhere?

Now as for the version number (return to my pix in post #1 in this thread) - it makes greater sense to dump "12" and use the last two digits of the year: "16", etc. Going forward, the version will definitively portray when it was released. Too tough to do? At least replace "12" w/ "16". Easy. SO - why not just do it?

FYI - Every website's "File Save As" I do has this, as applicable (re. RWD & X365), in my saved file format: "<customer>_2016-07-20_v000-RWD-X365". the version number increments with every save I do which is FREQUENT. This file instantly & redundantly saves off to two servers. The next day the file name's date gets updated and the version gets reset to 000. BTW, v000 today is an exact copy of the last saved file from the day prior. One more layer to try to goof proof things - such as when you do a Save vs. File Save as - GULP!

If I can do this, why can't Xara?

I have had way, way, way too many tech support calls and emails regarding all sorts of CAD software to the factories in India - and it is my opinion the left and right hands have little clue what each is doing. Why? ZERO Management and ZERO effective QA. Consequently you end up with a plethora of inconsistencies - even to the point where you cannot correlate two conjoined actions. A good example: ORCAD Schematic Capture software. HP printers is another - w/ one problem - I logged 44 hours on the phone in several days - so bad I'll never EVER buy anything HP again. Another w/ Dell re. how to rotate monitors from landscape to portrait. No one had a clue. I wrote a tech article after I finally figured it out and posted it on a Dell forum.

So is Xara going down the very long disjointed road those in India seem to have been doing for YEARS (IMO)?

Quote Originally Posted by CQDX View Post
    BINGO!! - Correct - ahhh, but too logical. So let's see, you sell the product as X365, DUH - doesn't it make sense to include this everywhere?
    not necessarily everywhere; especially not if you are fitting into a broader spectrum of product lines

So is Xara going down the very long disjointed road those in India seem to have been doing for YEARS (IMO)?
    lets not tar everyone in india with the same brush...

btw: I have three HP devices, I love them, never been a problem...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...