Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Xara Designer Pro X" name STINKS. Here's why ...

I sure as heck hope Xara can settle on one freaking name for the "X365" product. From the Xara Website ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X365 Website.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	113452

And I think "X" stinks. Too little info. Here's an example I really dislike - at the top of the tool when opened you see the light blue square with a white "D" and to its right it reads: "Xara Designer Pro X" followed by the file name.

Name:  X365 ribbon.JPG
Views: 397
Size:  9.2 KB

To me, simply saying Pro "X" is inadequate. Is it "X"10? "X"11? etc. Logically, wouldn't "Xara Designer Pro X" have been the initial release and have been prior to "Xara Designer Pro X10", and "Xara Designer Pro X11". Well, turns out the true name is really "X12". Not "X" and not "X365". Go to Xara > Help > About Xara Designer Pro X ... WoW! Guess what? The name is actually "Xara Designer Pro X 12.2.0.45774 DL x64 Jul 1 2016". So there you have it. This product is "X12".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara About.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	113451

Why does this bother me? Because I now must have X11 AND X365 (excuse me ... make that "X" ... ah, "X12") open in two monitors. Why? because the Publish Website Profiles from X11 did not get imported into X365 (oops, make that "X" ... nope - "X12"!) and there is ZERO ability to export/import this information. There MUST be an export/import function. Copying and pasting this info from "X11" into "X12" for all of my numerous websites is archaic not to mention time consuming, and its non-billable time!

OK Xara, time to step to the plate with your promise of patch releases for "X" / "X365" / "X12" and get an export/import function available.

Default Re: "Xara Designer Pro X" name STINKS. Here's why ...

So nothing's wrong about Windows versioning either?

For your profiles; http://support.xara.com/index.php?/K...ogram-versions.
    It might not be automatic but it's simple enough.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Isn't this a Xara forum?

I believe so, but acorn's analogy is a fair one

how about:

'X' is what the user name for the program started out as ... it was expanded out to Xtreme' for a while, and then went back to 'X' again with version 8; subsequent versions appended user version numbers, but now there are no user version numbers it has reverted to plain 'X'

as well as a user oriented name there is a technical one, because the program build will still have, and has to have, incremental version numbering [or life will get very difficult for the developers], hence version 12... in the help/about

xara 365 is the current product name, which is not the same thing as the program name anymore, because of all the things included that are not technically part of the program but there for use/benefit whilst you have an active 365 licence

as in, circa 2002/3:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara x splash.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	113485  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by CQDX View Post
    Isn't this a Xara forum?
    It is and that's why I added value by suggesting a solution to your migration difficulties.
    Acorn

P.S. X add mystery.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Back in the day when Corel released Draw 11 if I remember correctly, it was called X1 the X referring to the 10 versions before it.
    So at present CorelDraw is at version X8, which makes perfect sense. Xara's numbering appears to be rather haphazard and is, in my opinion responsible for all the queries about which is the latest version. This is aside from all the different versions for the web and Page Layout and whatnot.
    It's not very coherent, at least, it's not to me.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Nome of this would be an issue if the title bar had Xara Designer Pro 365 on it. Which is what the product page says on xara.com

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I agree Mike. For forum purposes I just refer to it as DP365.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Nome of this would be an issue if the title bar had Xara Designer Pro 365 on it. Which is what the product page says on xara.com
    http://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/ actually states DESIGNER PRO X365, which doesn't square away with Leap Years and conveniently loses "Xara" in the bargain.

• Designer Exclusive
    • Designer Premium
    • Designer Graphic
    • Designer Layout
    • Designer Web

Acorn

I'll just throw in more:

the program .EXE files for designer pro are called DesignerPro.exe - this is regardless of the version, so I have both versions 11 and 12 installed and they have exactly the same file name, which can confuse windows in certain respects
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...