Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bug Image Filename FAIL v21 + Squishy/Squashy SOLVED

Dear Xara..

I have already reported the usage of Image Filename is flawed and its simplest use results in a FAIL.

Xara - Image Filename FAIL.xar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image Filename FAIL.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	129187

It has far, far greater issues than just this. The fairest way to put it is it keeps the same Image Filename when you just move the image!

You cannot go on adding new features that just do not work properly.

In the above XAR file, if the make the slightest alteration, the associated Placeholders FAIL to render any longer.

However, I felt it useful to demonstrate their use with a solution that overcomes your earlier FAIL with the Squishy Squashy Saga for image rendering.

Xara - Squishy Squashy for Images.xar

This second file were created for v15.0 and earlier to when you decided to lock the aspect ratio of images (and text) as you knew best.
    This problem and your facile solution with "Smart transform" still confused users.

Acorn

Earlier References:
    1. https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ming-Feature-I
    2. https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ing-Feature-II
    3. https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ng-Feature-III

The most embarrassing point of this Thread is none of these three listed Threads have been viewed by a single Xara employee, unless they were anonymous.
    1,200 Views in two months.
    Last edited by Acorn; 21 March 2021 at 05:12 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Image Filename FAIL v21 + Squishy/Squashy SOLVED

Is this only relevant if you're using the image in a webpage? I don't understand how it would work for a standalone image!
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Info Re: Image Filename FAIL v21 + Squishy/Squashy SOLVED

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Is this only relevant if you're using the image in a webpage? I don't understand how it would work for a standalone image!
    Keith, like most things, there are always subtleties.

• Take you image.
    • Clone it.
    • For the Clone, add any Placeholder code(!) but use the one I described if you use Preview.

Select the objects on the page or the whole page and Export as JPEG/PNG for XWD(P) or JPEG/PNG/PDF for XDPX.

The addition of any code to make the object a Placeholder allows squishing and squashing. Even <div></div> works.

If that does not suit then just make a Bitmap Copy of the Placeholder.
    The Placeholder should not have Regenerate set in case you missed that.

Can you think of any other scenarios?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

a non website senario ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

yes that is interesting... but I'm not sure I'd want to be always adding the code to my bitmaps
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    yes that is interesting... but I'm not sure I'd want to be always adding the code to my bitmaps
    No bitmap ever gets code added!

You are creating a Placeholder image that can be squished or squashed, a thing you cannot do with an image (where the XDA does not have Smart transform code) or even a rectangle with Bitmap Fill.
    For a Bitmap Fill you have to be very patient and hold the Shift key while moving the control ends. I always end up with a tilt or not fitting the bounds.

You can then create Bitmap copies from its contortions.

Acorn

image .... or even a rectangle with Bitmap Fill
    these are both the same thing in XDA - the status line calls them 'photo' and '[clipped] photo'

ok I can see for a one-off it might be useful if you are working in a set up or version that makes squish 'difficult'
    Nothing lasts forever...

I've never use a placeholder, and not sure how that applies to a photo. However, you're the expert at this, so I'll take your word for it. At least i know it can be done if i need it.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

what acorn is saying is that if you 'tag' a photo with html code [technically then called a placeholder] you can squish it just like in days of old - if you make a bitmap copy of it that removes the html tag but it stll squishes the same way, unlike a photo that has not been so processed

it is always a photo, just in a different 'state'

at least that is what I found looking into what he said

it will have uses for those on ver 15.0 who cannot squish any other way

but if you squish a lot of bitmaps especially in the same file, on a later version, you may prefer other ways
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    what acorn is saying is that if you 'tag' a photo with html code [technically then called a placeholder] you can squish it just like in days of old - if you make a bitmap copy of it that removes the html tag but it stll squishes the same way, unlike a photo that has not been so processed
    it is always a photo, just in a different 'state'
    at least that is what I found looking into what he said
    it will have uses for those on ver 15.0 who cannot squish any other way
    but if you squish a lot of bitmaps especially in the same file, on a later version, you may prefer other ways
    handrawn, sorry to have to disappoint you but the squishing and squashing only workings on the Placeholder, not the resultant Bitmap Copy.

The smallest amount of Placeholder code that effectively hides it in Preview is <br>; <hr> present a horizontal line; even <p /> works.

None of the above assists in the glaring Image Filename FAIL.

Acorn