Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default SOLVED: Drag and Drop of photos not working in Web Designer 11

Problem: The drag and drop of photos from a file folder into an open website template in Web Designer 11 Premium is not working.

Discussion: During a search on the Internet, it appears there is a general "drag-and-drop" issue with Windows 10, 8.1 & 8 independent of using XARA programs, but was impacting my use of Web designer Premium 11

See Microsoft Support Notice here on the drag and drop issue:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Apparently, Microsoft has not properly addressed the issue as can be seen from the outrage from Windows users in the 'comments' section of the support notice. After researching many potential user attempts to solve the problem, I came across the following registry modification that SOLVED MY PROBLEM with drag-and-drop in XARA Web Designer Premium.

The solution entails deactivation of the User Account Controls (UAC) in the registry via "EnableLUA". EnableLUA specifies whether Windows® User Account Controls (UAC) notifies the user when programs try to make changes to the computer.

Please note. This is a 'work-around' fix that disables UAC and potentially opens your computer to security threats.

1) RUN regedit
    2) go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Policies > System

3) Change "EnableLUA" 1 to 0

Performing this registry change worked. Now I can use Drag and Drop in Web Designer 11.

************************************************** ***********************************
    Below is my full interaction with XARA support which details some of my other troubleshooting methods:

Posted on: 10 July 2016 10:40 PM
    Hi Xara Customer Service:

The photo drag and drop feature in Web Designer 11 Premium is not working. Please see attached MP4 video.

I wonder if this has something to do with my upgrade to Windows 10 (Home 64-bit). This is the first time I used Web Designer since upgrading the OS a month or so ago.

Posted on: 11 July 2016 10:29 AM
    Hi,

Thank you for your video.

Can you try closing the program if it is open and then right-click the shortcut > Run as Administrator. You should only have to do this once. Try dragging again?

If that doesn't work, do you have any desktop or explorer utilities running?

Kindest regards
    Customer Support
    Xara Group Ltd

Posted on: 12 July 2016 09:33 PM

Hi Support:

I tried your suggestion to run the program "As Administrator" and that didn't solve the drag-and-drop issue.
    I tried opening the 'website' I created from Web Designer 11, in a copy of Xara Designer Pro 9 and the drag-and-drop did not work in that program either.
    Also, I downloaded a trial version of Designer Pro 365 and loaded a new/blank Xara website template and tried to drag-and-drop and it still wouldn't work.
    So we've learned:

It's not related to a specific program or program version2) It's not related to a specific website design/template loaded within the program
    There are two things that have changed with my computer since I last used Xara Web Designer without any problems...
    1) Installed Windows 10
    2) Adjusted UAC controls
    I did a Google search and came up with a possible solution: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/274696
    I tried the 'resolution steps' to drag-and-drop issues suggested by Microsoft which is to run dcomcnfgThis didn't work; but it has me thinking that it still has something to do with the UAC controls in Windows.
    Can you please look into this possible solution further from your software side and I'll continue to work on adjusting security setting to see if I can find a solution.
    Please advise based on what you find.
    Thanks. Bart

Posted on: 14 July 2016 01:37 AM

Dear Xara:

I've been trying additional troubleshooting steps.

I tried right-clicking on the Xara Web Designer desktop ICON and selecting "Properties" clicked "Advanced" in the "Shortcut" tab and selecting "Run As Administer". Also, in Properties, I clicked on the "Compatibility" tab and selected "Run in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode).

Then running the program, I right-clicked and selected "Run As Administer".

None of these steps worked in trying to drag and drop a photo in Xara Web Designer Premium 11

Thanks, Bart

Posted on: 14 July 2016 10:18 AM
    Hi,

Where are you trying to drag the photos from? Is it from a network drive or detachable storage?

Do you also have any desktop utilities such as PowerDesk running?

Kindest regards
    Customer Support
    Xara Group Ltd

Posted on: 14 July 2016 05:15 PM

Dear Xara:

Searching the Internet, it appears there is a general "drag-and-drop" issue with Windows 10, 8.1 & 8 independent of using XARA programs.

See Microsoft Support Notice here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Microsoft has not properly addressed the issue as can be seen in the 'comments' section of the support notice. After researching many potential user attempts to solve the problem, I came across the following registry modification that SOLVED MY PROBLEM with drag-and-drop in XARA Web Designer Premium.

The solution entails deactivation of the UAC in the registry via "EnableLUA". EnableLUA specifies whether Windows® User Account Controls (UAC) notifies the user when programs try to make changes to the computer.

RUN regedit
    go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Policies > System

Change "EnableLUA" 1 to 0

Performing this registry change worked. Now I can use Drag and Drop in Web Designer 11.

Please inform your technical support staff of this fix.

Regards, Bart

Default Re: SOLVED: Drag and Drop of photos not working in Web Designer 11

Thanks for sharing this. Good information. I have had this happen but then the problem generally goes away. Not sure if the next update catches it, or what.