Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Lightbulb A 3D modeling Challenge

Ron Duke had made an ambiguous comment about "mesh" over here on this thread, and almost as if it were magic, 40,000 members posted with the same mislead conclusion I myself had. That Ron wanted to know about modeling...when actually the mesh he was referring to was the Color Mesh filter you use instead of a gradient tool in Illustrator.

But that spawned a thought in Mike Bailey's head: The 3D Graphics area isn't in hibernation—modeling folks just need a central place to gather that's of interest.

So how about this: we hold a semi-regular theme based Competition right here (or wherever the Mode prefers)?

I've got two ideas right from the start for a Competition theme. I think any modeler/renderer should be qualified, and perhaps if in the future a theme is broad enough, we should encourage animations.

1. Create a play on words. Take a phrase and make it literal. How about a "housefly"? Or a "fruitfly"? Or a "treehouse"? Gere, I've done a poor job of creating a literal pun from the word "Cowgirl."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	play-on-words-competiton.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	113372

You get the idea? If not, ask Igor.

2. Create artwork for a music album. I come from a time before fire was invented, and music was written to round pieces of vinyl, which came in there spectacularly decorated 13" square pieces of printed cardboard, taped together.

Then there was the Music CD jewel case insert, and although these guys measured only 4¾" square, they could still be breathtaking in their cover art work.

So I sort of miss this type of illustrative artwork, and very few of the millions of collections took advantage of 3D art because the "music album cover" imploded as an Art form in about 1980, before the invention of the Mac Classic.

That was a joke. Sort of.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	album-art-competition'.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	113373

This was a past project I had on hand, and it's not a good example of my proposed competition, but it works, doesn't it? I use Xara Designer a lot to put the finishing touches on a rendered 3D idea.

Thoughts?

C & C?

My Best,

Gare

Name:  ear-with-bud.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  4.6 KB
    Last edited by Gare; 16 July 2016 at 09:21 PM.

Default Re: A coule of thoughts about a 3D COMPETITION

Hello Folks, First I want to thank Gary for getting this started.

My Idea for the challenge is a bit different. What I had in mind for anyone wanting to participate is to visit Xara Xone tutorial archive.

http://archive.xaraxone.com/html/tutorials.html
    http://site.xaraxone.com/tutorials/

Pick one of the tutorials and model the object illustrated. The only rule is you have to make a 3D model, use any 3D software you have, you can also use Xara or any other software you want to make UV maps, decals, backgrounds, etc. There is no limit, post a wireframe or a full blown scene, just do it and have fun. I think this will be a good way to get started if your new to 3D or a good exercise for those folks with experience who want to practice there modeling skills. If you need help just ask, I'm sure someone will be here to assist.

Let's go with your idea, Mike, happily!

I'm sure you've flattered at least 50% of the Garys who worked the Xone.

Um, should there be a limitation here that you probably don't want to model something I did that is a model to begin with?

Or would you like to leave the modeling work I did up for re-interpretastion?

Probably a good idea, because I had a definite time limit in which I could spend doing a lot of the content.

Ready, steady, go?

-g

Or would you like to leave the modeling work I did up for re-interpretastion?
    Yes I think that would be ok as long as you don't mind.

I don't mind at all; please do tuck into them!

-g

I don't mind at all
    Cool I'll get it started with Gary Priester's tutorial from May 2011.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compass2.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	113402  
    Last edited by Mike Bailey; 15 July 2016 at 01:08 PM.

I think this id a great idea, particularly for someone like me who wants to learn to model in 3D but has never invested the time to learn the software. Sure I have spent a lot of time watching tutorials and messing with Blender but can I really do it? No! Now maybe I'll get off my rusty dusty and do it, maybe with Blender or something else such as Art of Illusion which Gare recommended in another post. I know it will take time to learn but oh well I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Larry, its good to see you joining the challenge, start with something simple and you will do fine. Hint: Some of those tutorial objects can be modeled with simple 3D primitives (cubes, sphere's, cones etc...) Kinda like your shapes challenge. Take your time and have fun.

I will create something later today if can kick myself away from TV.

if can kick myself away from TV
    Thats what laptops are for. Looking forward to see what you model.