Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to apply the dates to a calendar

Using Xara Designer Pro X365 in Windows 10.

I have to produce a calendar for a business venture, and was playing about with the template versions in relation to layout to get a feel for what is required. I cannot see how the text has been applied to Calendar 4 and would appreciate it if someone could either explain, or direct me to a relevant tutorial. Apologies in advance if I am being very obtuse.

Info Re: How to apply the dates to a calendar

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Using Xara Designer Pro X365 in Windows 10.
    I have to produce a calendar for a business venture, and was playing about with the template versions in relation to layout to get a feel for what is required. I cannot see how the text has been applied to Calendar 4 and would appreciate it if someone could either explain, or direct me to a relevant tutorial. Apologies in advance if I am being very obtuse.
    Looking at January:

1. January is a text line centred with Heading 1a set to 61pt.
    2. 2017 is a text line right-aligned with Heading 3a set to 36 pt.
    3. The date numbers are a cop-out as they have been set as a text line with tabs intervals and returns; no means to add other text easily.

I assume you need to add text to each date?
    If so you will need to Import Text Panel 02 (NEW) and rework the shape and text and line colour to your needs.
    I clicked inside and set the fill to white and the line colour to none.
    I set the font to 10pt and can still get 8 short words inside if you adjust the margin.
    The date number, I set to 20pt red. I would also set all digits 1 to 9 to be 01 to 09 to balance the set up.

I chose this but normally I would ceate an oval, soft group a text box and add special styles.

Either method allows you to build your own 2018 calendar quickly...

Xara gets 4/10 for these offerings.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: How to apply the dates to a calendar

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply in such detail.

I was looking for help with the dates, as I was sure that whoever designed it could not have done what I thought they had done, which is exactly as you have described. I thought I must be missing a subtle part of the process that would make it much slicker, like a widget for inputting dates to calendars. From what you have said, obviously not

I will print out the process you have used and use that to guide me.

I'm actually looking forward to the project, as it's a real opportunity to use my new Fuji X-Pro 2 for a proper paid project, which will be used to advertise a relative's business.

Thank you again.

Default Re: How to apply the dates to a calendar

Do't be guided by what Xara or I have offered.
    Write down simple statements to challenge your design objectives:

As a user of this site, I want to be able to click through a year's calendar, month by month, without leaving the current page so I can see what's happening and still keep place.
    As a site user, I want to click on a date and see other dates with the same event so i can plan when to partake.
    as the site owner, i want to have a changing presentation so I get repeat visitors.
    As a user I want to pick a month from a list and be shown its calendar so i can focus on the period I want.
    As the designer, I want the current month to show when a user accesses the site so current events are immediately apparent.
    As a casual viewer, i want to buy that bunny picture so I can use it for my screensaver.

Get these right and your calendar will work.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat