Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Multiple Guideline Layers and Colours

Hey guys, not sure if this is already possible - if so I can't figure it out... but I'd like to suggest we should be able to have multiple guide layers and be able to see the colour of guide lines per layer.

Seems like a simple request and perhaps an oversight?

For example, if I am designing a website and I want have a mix of half, third and quarter columns I can easily snap to. But having guides for all the columns is confusing for the eye when they are all the same colour. If we could have multiple guide layers with different colours it would make it easier to distinguish and if they can be in layers, plus we can easily switch between half and quarter column guidelines for example by hiding layers we don't want to see.

I know we can changed colours of guidelines from the default red, but it's all or none. You can't change the colour of individual guides from what I can tell.

Looking forward to others feedback on this and if anyone thinks it's not a good idea.

Ryan

Default Re: Multiple Guideline Layers and Colours

A workaround could be to create guidelines in a separate layer, give them a different color and a dash pattern (from the Line Gallery), lock the layer and turn on "Snap to objects" to help you position (text) objects that you create in other layers.

I personally would like to have a way of adding guidelines set to an angle, for example when creating an isometric illustration it would be great to create a guide and have it rotate to a set angle. At the moment all I can do is draw a line on a separate layer and rotate this but there is no snap-to function on this.

You can create a line, rectangle, circle, etc., make a Guide layer and move the objects to the Guide layer where the become guides and snap. Lock the Guide layer and work on any other layer and snap away.

There is also a set isometric grid available via Utilities>Options>Grid and Ruler>Grid type.
    ~Fred