Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Hidden Xara Feature: Pixel Art

While Xara isn't aimed at pixel the pixel artist in general (and by pixel art, I mean stuff like this: Name:  Mario-Luigi_Palette_Swap.png
Views: 4243
Size:  2.2 KB, not large, and not especially colorful or anything), it seems it can do it just fine, though in an oddly vector way.

To set it up:

Go into your Page Options and set your grid to have major divisions at 16px and with 16 subdivisions. This gives you a 16x16 grid with 1 pixel grid. Turn on grid snap and if you want you can turn on the grid so you can see it (you'll have to zoom in a bit to get the grid to display the real density of the divisions, if you zoom out too far, it doesn't draw all of the grid points).

Now you can select the Rectangle tool (M) and draw all of your pixels as blocks. If you are really worried about it's construction, you can use Combine Shapes operations to trim off everything. Be careful, sometimes Xara will not always snap to the grid. If you suspect the grid to not be adhered to, just select the square with the select tool (V) and drag each edge a little bit to get it to snap to the closest point.

When you're finished making your masterpiece like so...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	113352

Select every 'pixel' you wish to export. Select Export PNG... from the File menu and accept it without changing any options. When you go back and look at the exported image, it's a nice png with a correct palette ready to go! Here's the example vector image viewed in Asperite without any edits.

Name:	example2 asperite.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	113353

I don't know if anyone will find this useful, but it's nice to know if you want something strange to try, Xara's there with it's vector-pixels!

Never export JPG using this method as it will not keep your palette clean. I haven't tried it, but I imagine you could use Xara to do animations the same way by using non named boxes every frame. I suspect exporting an Animated GIF would generate the frames out in which you could use a raster image editor to split the frames up into a sprite sheet (in Asperite, for instance, where the process is practically automatically done for you when you load it up).

Again, this is more of a 'trick' than a really useful aspect of Xara, but it's cool to know how to do just in case someone one day needs to do any pixel-perfect editing of some sort. It's still be preferrable to have a pixel-preview view mode/filter though....*hint hint*...that way we can use the regular tools and see instantly how it looks rasterized... :3
    See my some of artwork and hear some of my music at www.kniteforcerevolution.com

Default Re: Hidden Xara Feature: Pixel Art

And if you used only named colors, it would aid in making those impressive 8-bit graphics reproductions.

Mario Forever!

Interesting approach.

What I do is create my colour palette made up of 16x16px boxes off the page.
    Each has a black line width of 0px to show alignment better.
    I then simply right-click on a pallete box and drag-click into position multiple times to build up that colour.

I have a datum box at an exact 16px multiple X- & Y-coord and simply use Snap to Objects.

A sort of Painting by Blocks.

if I am doing a trace of a cartoon, I place that on a top locked layer and with Screen Bleach onto a black page.
    When you drop your boxes in place, you can see the coverage through it more clearly.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Name:	Mario.png 
Views:	498 
Size:	2.5 KB 
ID:	113364
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Love it!

(Now back to obscurity.)

Fun to create. Used named colours. Worked on an 80 x 80 px grid with 1 subdivision. This way you can work at 100% zoom and I found snapping was easier.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	super-mario.png 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.5 KB 
ID:	113371
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I’ve created pixel art with Xara before, and I recall running into an issue with colors. In the exported PNG image, colors did not match exactly those that I set in Xara. Some were slightly off, maybe just by a value of 1 out of 256.

Very creative hseiken! Thanks for sharing!
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer