Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I would like to know how to create gradient transparncies (such as smoke or steam) in Photo Paint 8. I have noticed that drop shadows have these gradient transparencies and am wondering if there is a way to manually do this to objects. Furthermore, how can I export .png images from Photo Paint keeping these (gradient transparencies (alpha channels)? I need to be able to do this so I can import them into Flash movies.

Thanks in advance,
    IP

I would like to know how to create gradient transparncies (such as smoke or steam) in Photo Paint 8. I have noticed that drop shadows have these gradient transparencies and am wondering if there is a way to manually do this to objects. Furthermore, how can I export .png images from Photo Paint keeping these (gradient transparencies (alpha channels)? I need to be able to do this so I can import them into Flash movies.

Thanks in advance,
    IP

The best way is saving in Paint as CPT. It kept object transparency.
    Import CPT into DRAW
    Export from DRAW using SWF (Flash) filter.
    Import created SWF into Flash.
    This way you can import images with transparent background into Flash.
    If you want to control image transparency, you should convert to symbol(graphic) in Flash and access Color/Alpha feature in Flash Symbol Properties.
    IP

I posted a similar message under Photoshop and now I have two (similar but) different ways to do this. You guys are great! I couldn't make it without you.

Thanks a million,
    IP

About gradient transparencies - there are several tools for that. There is a Feather tool for layers that fades their edges much like Drop Shadow does, or Gaussian Blur. So, for smoke, you can use a brush tool with large amount of dab spread to create a "curled" strip of dark color and then use Feather or Gaussian Blur to make it more transparent. Don't forget that you might want to create a blank new layer for the smoke strip to leave the background graphic intact and to be able to use the Feather tool.

Man am I sleepy!
    IP

Since Stinger originally asked about gradient transparencies, smoke effects, and exporting for Flash as a PNG, and all three subjects actually fall within my limited knowledge range, I thought I'd heave my own two cents in here....

In addition to InsaneSpaghetti's methods, if you want an actual "gradient" transparency (smooth & even, as opposed to an irregular smoke effect), you can always use the interactive transparency tool on an object.

One of my favorite ways of creating smoke and mist effects is to use the paint on mask.

Go into your "Select Fill", pick your texture fills - that's the button on the far right - choose edit. In the "Samples 6" library there's one called "Exhaust Fumes" (there are others you could use for this, that one's my favorite). Change the Background to black, and the patches to white. If you don't like the pattern this makes, click on "Preview" a few times, til you see one you like. Click all the okays.

Go to Mask / Paint On Mask, the image will turn all white (relax, it's okay, this is temporary). Select your paint bucket tool, and click it on your now white field. It fills with the "Exhaust Fumes" texture. Turn off "Paint On Mask", and you've got a smoky mask (if you want to get a better idea of how the smoke texture mask actually looks, go to Mask / Mask Overlay, and you'll see the gradient effect in red instead of the marching ants).

Now you have several options. If you want your smoke as a seperate object, you can create a new object, and fill it, or paint into this mask on it, or you can apply various image adjustments like HSB, or BCI, to one of your other objects, to get the smoky effect. Or select the object you want to see thru the smoke, and use Object:Copy Selection, which will make a copy that's cropped to your smoke mask, and mess around with that.

You can also later fine tune your effect with one of the splotchier brushes, or with the airbrush. Or go the other way - any of the brush shapes can be used with the eraser tool, too. If your smoke effec is a little too heavy, just pull the object's opacity down a little.

As to PNG:

This is actually the method I use to export for Flash use, as it's a step shorter than using a CPT...

Duplicate your image (but don't combine all objects w/BG yet). Select your partially transparent object, and create mask from object. Now combine all objects with BG. Leaving the mask in place, export as PNG - transparency will be preserved.

hope this helps.

Duncan

[This message was edited by Duncan Eagleson on September 16, 2000 at 11:38 PM.]
    IP