Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Edit website from remote computer

Hi there - I have created a website a while back using WD10 Premium and have made changes from my office computer that contains all of the files I used. I am away from the office and need to make a few important changes to my site.

I downloaded a trial version of WD10 Premium and wanted to see if I'm able to log in to my site to edit. It it's not obvious, I'm somewhat of a novice with this process, so any assistance is greatly appreciated. I have all of the information needed from my web hosting company to access my site.

Thanks for any assistance!

Default Re: Edit website from remote computer

If you have WD10 on a laptop then any place you have an internet connection you can publish from your laptop.

WD 365 gives you access to Xara Online (still in beta). From my First Look review:

Xara Online Designer [Beta] Still in beta version but evolving rapidly into a powerful collaborative tool with more and more editing capabilities. Websites can be edited from anywhere in the world via the cloud and clients or team members can change current content or add content of their own. You can access Xara Online Designer via Cloud Xara, Dropbox, Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive
    The review http://xaraxone.xara.hosting/pro365 is for Designer Pro X 365 but all the web features also apply to WD 365.

If you don't want to upgrade at this point, then look at Xtom's (a TG member and Xara user) CMS solution http://www.xt-cms.com/

The problem is that the file that contains all of your site information is on your office computer. You can't just fire up WD10 and access the website to change it.

This was from my review of WD 11: (Not sure if this is accessible to WD 10 owners)

Introducing online editing with cloud.xara (beta). One of the more frequent questions on TalkGraphics.com is can I create a website that my client or colleague can edit? Previously this was possible, but only if both parties had Web Designer, and it required the document files be sent back and forth. With cloud.xara and using a web browser, now you can collaborate with clients and colleagues—even if you or they are using a Mac or Android tablet, to update the text and photos on your website. This can even be done in real time! Find out more at http://content.ixara.com/intro/ In addition to cloud.xara, Web Designer 11 users can post web documents to their Dropbox or Google Drive folder and the documents will update for any other users who have access to Dropbox or Google Drive and to these files. Even if it is only yourself and you are working on different computers in different locations. Previous versions are saved on these cloud based accounts so you and your collaborators can revert to an earlier version if necessary.

Isn't this the real problem: Xara files are on computer A, user is many miles from computer A using computer B and wants to update website. User does not have access to any site file, even though they can see the website itself.

It's not possible to update the site without using computer A.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    This was from my review of WD 11: (Not sure if this is accessible to WD 10 owners)
    Thanks Gary! I was looking into this as an option and it appears that the files need to be cloud accessible and unfortunately, mine are not. I'm looking into options via my web hosting company that has a html editor via their cpanel for my web pages. It's a bit daunting as it looks like the mobile site is on the same page. Might have to hold off before I screw everything up!

How about getting someone to send the Xara file to you ( a link - the file will be too big), or put it on dropbox?

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    How about getting someone to send the Xara file to you ( a link - the file will be too big), or put it on dropbox?
    This is just one of the problems of being a "one-man" show. No one at computer A.

So how complex is the change?

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    So how complex is the change?
    I'm trying to manage just a short text change now.