Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Not able to import CorelDraw (CDR) files into Designer Pro X365

I'm not able to import CorelDraw (CDR) files into Designer Pro X365. A thumbnail of the CDR file is clearly displayed within the file manager window but I consistently get a "not a CorelDraw file" error message after Designer Pro X365 attempts to import each file. I've tried several different CDR version files and get the same result. Any suggestions as to how I can resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated. In advance, thank you for your assistance with this.

Default Re: Not able to import CorelDraw (CDR) files into Designer Pro X365

Strikes me that the newest CD version XDP opens is 8. Not X8, but 8.

I had always created PDFs out of CD so I was reasonably lucky with my older drawings as CD X8 cannot open them. With my newer CD files I either export PDFs or as SVG as an interchangeable format if I need to get the CD files into XDP. Reality is I mostly go the other way.

Have you tried "Copy and Paste" Works fine on my PC

Welcome to TalkGraphics Sara Rebeka

If you still have access to CorelDRAW, export your document as PDF. Designer Pro 365 will have more success with this format.

Make sure you use the pdf option within CorelDRAW (in the File dropdown menu), not an external pdf 'printer'. I did this to get our cdr's across to Xara files. I still had to edit the files in Xara... font issues, columns, text formatting, colours, etc. all needed a bit of TLC. Our cdr's were v12.

Don't feel too bad about not being able to just import the cdr files though. Even CorelDRAW can't open it's 'own' files after a few versions have passed, often crashing badly.

I do not know if this will help since I have not yet tried it in 365, I usually convert my art in Coreldraw to curves and export it as a cmx file. This is what I have found worked best for me over the years. Just a thought. Good luck!

Tom

Works, and I use CMX as well at time. Strikes me why I generally use pdf is for maintaining transparency.

Thanks for all of your replies. Greatly appreciated.

Hi sararebeka, and welcome to TalkGraphics. There is no drag and drop support for CorelDRAW, any version I'm told, which makes sense because Xara and CorelDRAW are coded by two entirely different (and compteting!) groups of enginers. CorelDRAW's 32 bit CMX export appears to come into Xara quite well, and Xara's export to CMX is excellent.

You're an expert in CorelDRAW? You really shouldn't have problems drawing in Xara. Tere are many, many Xara users here who began with CorelDRAW, and switched to Xara after a while.

Can you share some of your artwork done in CorelDRAW on our forum after you've posted enough remarks to qualify for posting images? CorelDRAW is supposed to export to JPEG and PNG very well.

Kind Regards,
    Barbara B.,
    Administrator.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com