Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Software speed.

Default Software speed.

Fyi Xara users and Xara software peeps.

I’d been complaining (to Xara tec support) about speed of the software (dog slow would be polite)

Following advice from Xara and also from a thread on here (thanks users) re practical website variants, I just knocked one of my website variants on the head.

I did have full screen + tablet + mobile, now I have full screen and mobile. I had to add some background tiling in on the mobile variant when viewed on a tablet but it’s very acceptable (I now see the mobile variant on my tablet)

But here’s the thing – I now have a massive increase in speed! Result – happy happy!

Would you believe that editing text on a Pentium 3556 1.7HGz 2MB cache with 8GB RAM (yes really) and a 1TB clean drive was dead slow with three variants – now it’s fast!

I can’t believe there is so much extra load with live text across 3 variants vs. 2.

Stay the hell away from three variant templates is my advice.

Default Re: Software speed.

Perhaps your could check your machine's virtual memory settings: System Properties > Advanced > Performance > Advanced > Virtual memory.
    Can you confirm you have a 64-bit OS? 8GB becomes just over 3GB on a Windows 32-bit system.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

7.9GB and my CPU is running at between 8 and 13%
    I have 64 bit system Windows 10
    its a software issue
    all my other software is instant
    Xara is now fast with two variants
    with three variants its SLOW
    I understand the issue could be with Named objects and apparently it appears to be exasperated by an increase in variants. The Xara tecs are aware, they have my web doc files and its an open ticket.

Thanks for clarifying.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Without seeing your 3 variant version I don't see how I could comment re the speed.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Perhaps a lot of big bitmaps, maybe?

nope, none of that.
    I started a website using the Vue template, a bit of editing, nothing too fancy and dog slow was order of the day. To the point I edit text or drag over and remove a few sentences and I sit and wait looking at the screen for 10-15 seconds whilst the screen freezes and the changes occurs.
    This was with a 9 page website with no large graphics and no silly content.
    I sent my files to Xara, they said its a recognised issue and something to do with Named objects which they said are required in the Vue template to make things push etc. (???)
    I asked what the bad objects are as I would then have gone in and killed them, they couldn't help.
    A later Xara tec response was that they knew of the problem, couldn't fix it now but could I use a different template as I was using one of the few that has three variants. This gives me the clue as to what the real issue is - I think the software struggles, even on a high spec pc to do its thing on live text etc across three variants.
    But these are just my thoughts .... So my question - to help Xara / me
    Is there anyone here actually using a three variant website with any sort of of content in it, and using it fast without screen freezes and hangs? (and incidentally, it does this on both my computers!)

I suspect most people have a desktop/tablet variant and a mobile one rather than all three.

which is what I did Paul, and now I have normal / fast speed editing, in fact, no complaints. :-)