Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Simple program to learn meshes

Can anyone recommend a program that is simple to use for learning how to use meshes?
    Blender?
    Last edited by Ron Duke; 10 July 2016 at 04:36 PM.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Default Re: Simple program to learn meshes

Mesh gradient fills, or modeling, Ron?

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Mesh gradient fills, or modeling, Ron?
    I'd like to learn more about mesh as I've heard it discussed/requested before here on the forum.

Thanks Mike.

ron

Xara's Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bailey View Post
    Mr. Bailey!
    Good to here from you. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

ron

Xara's Facebook

Well, I think that both modeling and mesh fills have been discussed before, Ron. As for illustration purposes like what you do, unless you are talking about 3D modeling, it would be the oft requested mesh fills.

DrawPlus does mesh fills very well and is relatively inexpensive, especially for the previous (not latest) version. But a couple things. DP X8 (the latest/last version) also has several improvements over previous versions (like a B-spline tool). However, the Plus range of Serif software will also not have new versions going forward and the Affinity Draw product they have a public beta of does not have mesh fills added yet. DrawPlus is still a very viable product, albeit it is now a dead product with the exception of probable bug fixes in the future.

CorelDraw also has mesh fills. However, the cost is exceptionally larger than DP.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Well, I think that both modeling and mesh fills have been discussed before, Ron. As for illustration purposes like what you do, unless you are talking about 3D modeling, it would be the oft requested mesh fills.

DrawPlus does mesh fills very well and is relatively inexpensive, especially for the previous (not latest) version. But a couple things. DP X8 (the latest/last version) also has several improvements over previous versions (like a B-spline tool). However, the Plus range of Serif software will also not have new versions going forward and the Affinity Draw product they have a public beta of does not have mesh fills added yet. DrawPlus is still a very viable product, albeit it is now a dead product with the exception of probable bug fixes in the future.

CorelDraw also has mesh fills. However, the cost is exceptionally larger than DP.

Mike
    Not really looking to use mesh fills in my current drawings. Just thinking about expanding.
    Thanks for your input Mike.

ron

Xara's Facebook

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi Ron, you mentioned Blender, While it is a very good open source 3D modeling program it does have a steep learning curve. The good thing though is there are lots of tutorials and videos available to learn from. Blender has quite a batch of beginner level videos and tutorials on its site and a quick google search will bring up many more. If you are going to have a go at learning Blender expect to spend time learning. I haven't been able to keep up with Blender because I just don't have the time anymore. When I was learning it I wasn't working and had some health issues so I had plenty of spare time. Now a days I'm back to health and what started out as a part time job has expanded.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Hi Ron, you mentioned Blender, While it is a very good open source 3D modeling program it does have a steep learning curve. The good thing though is there are lots of tutorials and videos available to learn from. Blender has quite a batch of beginner level videos and tutorials on its site and a quick google search will bring up many more. If you are going to have a go at learning Blender expect to spend time learning. I haven't been able to keep up with Blender because I just don't have the time anymore. When I was learning it I wasn't working and had some health issues so I had plenty of spare time. Now a days I'm back to health and what started out as a part time job has expanded.
    That's helpful Frances, thanks.
    Have you had experience with a program other than Blender?

Xara's Facebook

There are plenty of software to choose from, ranging from plain modellers to complete modelling/rendering solutions.

Just to mention few, not free but affordable 3d-modellers:
    Metasequoia
    AC3D
    Silo

Most tutorials can be used on any software with similar way of modelling as the basics are the same and mostly the user interface changes. Many programs also offer time limited versions or licenses for testing, so is possible to try full version before buying.

Just pick something and start experimenting as I am sure you will do fine on any software you choose.