Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Mobile phone variant from a custom web site.

Having just looked at the video of how to create a variant I believe that is how you create a mobile phone screen. The lady in the video made it look very easy using a preset Xara web site. I want to create my own template and create a web site so it looks the same as it was before I changed from WebPlus to Xara.

So can I still create a mobile phone variant from my own site/template?

I look after quite a few web sites that are updated monthly and so it is quite a bit of work to move all the text and pictures to my Xara software. I just want to be sure that I can do this before I start creating the new pages.

Also when the pages are uploaded to a host such as 1&1 what is the extension for the index file? is it index.html or index.htm?

Your help is appreciated.

Default Re: Mobile phone variant from a custom web site.

Hi Janet. You can create variants from your own design. Just create the main site. When you're happy, go Utilities / Website Variants/ Website Variants / Create.

Then move & resize the page content to fit the new page size.

By default Xara uses index.htm but you can force index.html by naming the file as such.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks much the info. I order the software tomorrow - I think I will go for the standard version, I can always get the Premium version later if it seems worth it. Thanks again.

Try before you buy. Download both and have a go. They are fully functional except I don't think you will have access to the Online Content Catalog.

You have 30 days to evaluate.

Quote Originally Posted by janet2280 View Post
    Thanks much the info. I order the software tomorrow - I think I will go for the standard version, I can always get the Premium version later if it seems worth it. Thanks again.
    Please go for the Premium, you won't regret it.

If your site rely on php or other server-side aspects, you need to talk more with us.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I used the trial version then I purchased premium, for the extra sell price I think its silly not to.

The only thing missing from the trial version is the manual, at least I couldn't find it in mine - there is a very good help menu though, and the walk throughs and videos are good.

I also moved from Webplus, the main difference in use is Xara doesn't use a Master Page, instead it allows you to right click and repeat objects across all pages, that effectively becomes your master page. If you just go with the flow and accept it you'll pick up Xara really quick.

We have been asking for Master Pages for a long time now and we are hopeful that at some point the idea will be added.

If you repeat something on all pages, then it is repeated on all pages. With master pages a repeating object can be set to only repeat on the child pages instead of all pages.

Thank you for the advice. I've been playing with the trail version for a couple of days now and have recreated part of one site on janetsownsite.co.uk It is starting to come together and I am learning a lot playing.

I agree with your comments about missing the MasterPage on WebPlus. Sometimes the Repeat on All Pages seems to work and other times not. Does it matter when you make it Repeat on all Pages? If you set up a heading or a navigation bar (I want a navigation bar down the left side rather than across but I think you only get that when you buy the software) on a page and make it Repeat on any Page, does it change on all the pages? Irrespective of when the page was created?

The only other thing I have found which is worse than WebPlus is I keep accidentally moving the whole text box because I forget to click off the T and on to the arrow but I imagine I will get used to that.

does it change on all the pages? Irrespective of when the page was created?
    Yes it does Janet, provided you haven't previously selected 'stop updating'

I keep accidentally moving the whole text box because I forget to click off the T
    One of the best tools is the undo button
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host