Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default export to local drive

I am using the test download for Xara Web Designer Premium 12.2.0.45774 DL x64 Jul 1 2016. I would like to manually upload my site and files through filezilla. However, saving to the local drive is not producing the files I need to upload. I like everything about the program except the upload problem. I am using a php form that I make with Coffee Cup, and when I upload it to the Xara free site, I cannot get it to work. I am uploading the files manually, and still just getting code instead of the form. I use it all the time on my current software with filezilla. any ideas?

Default Re: export to local drive

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Publish to a folder on your desk and make sure your home page is called index, or if you prefer your files to be html, then index.html

Xara creates all the page HTML files and a folder called index_htm_files (or html_files). These all have to be in the same folder.

To preview, double click the index document and the site will open in your browser.

If all looks as you want then copy the entire contents of the folder to your web host's server.

Xara does a pretty good job of doing this with the benefit of only changes made after the first publish are published.

But you do need to understand that if you use Filezilla, or a stand alone FTP program, you cannot simply publish the changed pages. You will need to upload all the files and folder each time because references in the HTML files might change. This is why it is better to publish from within Xara.

Not sure if something weird going on here.

I'm using Web Designer 365 64 bit and downloaded an update to the software today. Since then, it is steadfastly refusing to export my site to the local hard drive.

There are normally 4 stages to this: preparing to export, converting to export, exporting site and then publishing. For each, I would normally see a progress bar but now only stages 1,2, and 4 show a progress bar.

The empty progress bar for stage 3 (exporting) hangs around for a few seconds but then disappears. If I am publishing then the 4th stage will pop-up in the top right but it actually publishes the older, non-updated site.

Everything was fine until I downloaded the update.

Hi Steve,

I'm getting slightly confused here:
    1: Are you Exporting the site? (which exports the site to your local system)
    2: Or are you publishing your site? (which publishes the site to your host server using FTP)
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by kmach View Post
    I am using the test download for Xara Web Designer Premium 12.2.0.45774 DL x64 Jul 1 2016. I would like to manually upload my site and files through filezilla. However, saving to the local drive is not producing the files I need to upload. I like everything about the program except the upload problem. I am using a php form that I make with Coffee Cup, and when I upload it to the Xara free site, I cannot get it to work. I am uploading the files manually, and still just getting code instead of the form. I use it all the time on my current software with filezilla. any ideas?
    I think I'm right in saying that when using php the index file should be index.php, but unfortunately the Xara free hosting doesn't accept php anyway.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I'm confused too LOL

I've spent the last 24 hours trying to figure this out. I've tried both exporting the site to the local drive using the 'export website' option and going the whole way and publishing the site on-line.
    In my efforts, I created a new folder on my local drive and exported the site to the new folder. When I looked at the folder after exporting, this seemed to have worked. So I then published the site on-line.

After a bit of playing about, I realised that it was the variants that weren't working anymore. The site is visible at 1024 resolution but the Tablet and Mobile variants now show blank screens. Take a look at the site at www.hartlepoolpost.co.uk to see what I mean - reduce the size of the browser window and the site goes blank. Likewise, looking at the site on a tablet or mobile now displays a blank screen.

I can't say for certain that it's anything to do with the recent upgrade; all I can say is that it was working perfectly fine before I downloaded the upgrade. Bit of a puzzler, this one.

Hi again Steve. I can't see the variants either. However your site is set up in a strange manner the index page is indeed index.htm but your Home button links to indexb.htm, but you must have some code diverting it back to index.htm

The only other buttons that link to your own site are free-ads and about us but these link to :

hartlepoolpost.co.uk/statics/static%20freeads.htm

hartlepoolpost.co.uk/statics/static_about%20us%20and%20contacts.htm

It's not possible to create a single Xara website with subfolders, so where do they come from?

I have a feeling you may be uploading your site to the wrong location.

Without seeing your web file I couldn't help further.

EDIT: As an aside I wouldn't use spaces in file names, use hyphens.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host