Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: a couple of questions

Quote Originally Posted by GStas View Post
    Im redoing an active website using existing page links and some of these have capitals for the page names eg www.example.com/Page1
    Capitalise your entire URL / link. Is the site still accessible? If so, it won't matter a jot then to Google or SEO but note Google and SEO are case-sensitive and you are probllby on a Linux (Apache) server.

It is one way to find out if your server is Windows (doesn't matter) or Linux (does matter).

I would bite the bullet and go for lowercase, as enforced by Xara. Adding redirects or server-side fixes are prone to break.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Capitalise your entire URL / link.
    I think GStas's problem is that Xara won't let you capitalise the Page Filename Acorn.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I think GStas's problem is that Xara won't let you capitalise the Page Filename Acorn.
    Egg, I was suggesting this as a test in the browser address bar, not in the design.
    Thank you for pointing out what I had missed,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Just pointing that out Acorn. Redirect's worked fine on the test I did on my Linux server. Updating the sitemap.xml file to reflect the changes to lower case filenames should further assist the SE's
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Just pointing that out Acorn. Redirect's worked fine on the test I did on my Linux server. Updating the sitemap.xml file to reflect the changes to lower case filenames should further assist the SE's
    the original site is still live. Do you suggest i delete all existing pages of original site thru ftp and upload the new site with 301's in place?

Yes, once you've tested it to destruction on your local machine. Either delete you old site files or better still move them to a subdirectory as a temporary backup. Change your robot.txt file to disallow SE access to the subdirectory. Place all 21 301 redirects into your .htaccess file. Go to one of any online sitemap.xml generators and load that to your root directory. Test - Test - Test. Good luck.
    Egg

Yes, once you've tested it to destruction on your local machine. Either delete you old site files or better still move them to a subdirectory as a temporary backup. Change your robot.txt file to disallow SE access to the subdirectory. Place all 21 301 redirects into your .htaccess file. Go to one of any online sitemap.xml generators and load that to your root directory. Test - Test - Test. Good luck.
    thanks. seems the better way to go.
    some pages have underscores and best to rename. eg
    www.example.com/Page_1.html can be changed to www.example.com/page1.html

not sure if this is a big issue or not.

No big issue. Sometimes it's helpful to use a hyphen to seperate the file name (contact-us.htm rather than contactus.htm) It would appear that hypens are better than using underscores for SE reasons.

page1.htm or page-1.htm would be better than page_1.htm

Xara also defaults to using .htm rather than .html, personally I tend to stick with the Xara default (.htm) but there's no reason not to use .html either, just remember that's what you've been doing in the past.
    Egg

No big issue. Sometimes it's helpful to use a hyphen to seperate the file name (contact-us.htm rather than contactus.htm) It would appear that hypens are better than using underscores for SE reasons.

page1.htm or page-1.htm would be better than page_1.htm

Xara also defaults to using .htm rather than .html, personally I tend to stick with the Xara default (.htm) but there's no reason not to use .html either, just remember that's what you've been doing in the past.
    thanks. this site is .html so ill leave as is.
    thanks again