Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Xara

Default Goodbye Xara

I just read through G.W. Priester's - as usual - very well written and freshly (with Xara DesignerX365's options) designed First Look.

It confirmes my expactation that Xara (aka Magix) is on a route towards a "painting by numbers" application.

I quote from Garry's First Look:
    Users who cannot draw a straight line even with the Straight Line Tool will appreciate the wealth of art, symbol library, configurable SmartShapes and SmartCharts, free high quality stock photos, design and website templates and professionally designed entire websites that you can customize and modify to your heart’s content.

There is hardly any development with vector tools at all. I do appreciate the development with text and the spiral SmartShape. But this is not enough.

On top of that I am not convinced of Xara's 365 concept. To me it seems to be just another subscription model. Eeven more complicated.

I moved from Corel to Xara in 2005. Now I shall move on to Serif's Affinity Designer, which is in Beta right now. (And I certainly will use Xara Designer Pro 11, too).

I certainly appreciate all the work Xara has put into the program. But for me it has taken a direction away from my interests.

All the best,

v.
    IP

Default Re: Goodbye Xara

Sorry to see your first Post is an adieu (better than goodbye, which is more final).

Keep using XDPX11, I am sure it will be a faithful workhorse for you.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

Hello and Goodbye. To clarify I was trying to point out that Xara was as good for design professionals, I modestly consider myself in that camp, and for non designers. I found a lot to like as always. But I would advise you try out the free trial before you finalize your goodbye.
    IP

you will still need xdp11 there are quite a few things it has that affinity currently lacks; if you want more vector tools you should probably be going to illustrator, affinity's big plus for me in the pixel persona.. not of course vector - there are a couple of great vector features that make affinity a welcome addition, but it's not a replacement, just an addition...

btw, as one brought up with windsor and newton, higgins, brause, stratford and waterford, all digital painting is 'done by numbers'....
    Last edited by handrawn; 04 July 2016 at 06:46 PM. Reason: going to the opticians next monday
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by vkenner View Post

I moved from Corel to Xara in 2005. Now I shall move on to Serif's Affinity Designer, which is in Beta right now. .
    Hi VKenner—

I will not agree or disagree with your personal assessment of drawing programmes, because by definition, it is personal.

But I can't understand for the life of me why you and a mercifully small handful of other artists have to make an either/or choice of tools.

I have been using CorelDRAW since I first bought a PC in 1990 or so. When Xara came along, I was thankful they made a lot of the tools and commands identical to DRAW's, so the learning curve was shallower. But I didn't stop using CorelDRAW...it has features Xara doesn't such as the Polygon tool and Mesh fill.

Similarly, Affinity Designer presents new ways of doing things, perhaps two unique tools/approaches to vector drawing, but it will be added to my collection of software programs...it will not replace anything. I figure that even my aging brain can spawn a few more convolutions to accommodate a few more key commands. :)

I just don't buy this "brand loyalty" crap that some people use to narrow their tastes, choice of software, and their creative perspective.

I'm not exactly sure why you even posted what you did. Considering your mind is firmly made up that Xara has moved away from your interests so you therefore must explore Affinity Designer, all you had to do was to make sure the door didn't hit you on your way out. Your post, above and beyond a heralding of dissatisfaction, suggests the attitude more of a politician than an artist, which by the way, mix like oil and water, friend.

As a teacher, I run a lot of programs. I'm familiar with Illustrator and I consider myself proficient in several graphics programs. I've written what's going on 30 software after-market books for competing companies, and the summation of this experience still leads to curiosity, blunt criticism, and also tolerance and understanding.

I'd recommend that you, or anyone else who is feeling strident about the future of Xara and competing software just drop the politics because they are a façade of the first order, and get on with their creative pursuits with the least amount of friction between user and application.

Melodramatically Yours,

Gary
    IP

suggests the attitude more of a politician than an artist, which by the way, mix like oil and water, friend
    I like to think of myself as a french dressing sort of guy: part olive and part sour wine

is there more than one screwdriver in my toolbox?... rhetorical question
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Yes, there's absolutely no need to just use one program. My hard drive would be a lot emptier if I just used a single program for each need.

Mix and match.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Keep using XDPX11, I am sure it will be a faithful workhorse for you.
    I certainly will do so. My point is not that Designer is a bad program. I am very familiar with it and still like it. I just don't see any development at the moment that makes me want to support the company by upgrading.

v.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Hello and Goodbye.
    I admit my one post only is not very polite. I was following this forum for several years and learned a lot from many of you. I want to thank you all for that.

Garry your review is very informativ as always. My intention is not to comment on your writing at all. I just found your conclusion worth citing because that is exactly what sums up Xara's way ahead. This is fine but not what I am looking for.

v.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you will still need xdp11 there are quite a few things it has that affinity currently lacks; if you want more vector tools you should probably be going to illustrator, affinity's big plus for me in the pixel persona.. not of course vector -
    I am aware of the fact that Affinity is currently not complete. And I assume for certain things I will use my XDP11 because in many ways it is still a good tool. I do own Illustrator CS6 but never got very well around it.

What motivates me to support Affinity/Serif is their policy of open communication and the promise not to turn the software into a subscription model at some point. As I stated before the new 365-licence is one major reason not to support Xara for now.

v.
    IP